SC admits appeal against acquittal of Suhaib Ilyasi

Ilyasi, who had shot into limelight after hosting TV crime show, India's Most Wanted, was acquitted of the murder charges by the Delhi High Court on October 5 last year saying that the prosecution's case was not established.

The Supreme Court on Friday admitted an appeal filed by Delhi Police against a high court order that acquitted former TV anchor and producer Suhaib Ilyasi of the charge of killing his wife 19 years ago.

Ilyasi, who had shot into limelight after hosting TV crime show, India's Most Wanted, was acquitted of the murder charges by the Delhi High Court on October 5 last year saying that the prosecution's case was not established.

A Delhi court had on December 20, 2017 sentenced Ilyasi to life term for stabbing his wife to death, saying he "committed murder and gave it the colour of suicide".

A bench of Justices L Nageswara Rao and M R Shah said they have already admitted a similar appeal filed by complainant Rukma Singh, mother of the victim Anju Singh.

"Leave granted," the bench said in its order and tagged it along with Rukma's plea, for hearing on February 28.

Delayed medical aid?

The high court held that there was nothing to suggest that 52-year-old Ilyasi deliberately delayed medical assistance for his wife Anju, who was first taken to a private hospital and then to the AIIMS, where she was declared dead.

The incident had taken place on the intervening night of January 10-11, 2000 when Anju was rushed to a hospital with stab wounds she received at her East Delhi residence.

Comments (+)