Akbar lynching: Family demands arrest of VHP man

Akbar lynching: Family demands arrest of VHP man

Akbar Khan's father Suliaman and daughter Sahila outside their home in Kolgaon. Photo by Tabeenah Anjum

A day after police filed a chargesheet in connection with the lynching of Akbar Khan here, the family of the 31-year-old dairy farmer is demanding the arrest of chief of the Vishwa Hindu Parishad’s gau raksha cell in Ramgarh.

“It has been 45 days since we lost our son but nothing has been done so far. Police is trying to save Naval Kishore Sharma, chief of the Vishwa Hindu Parishad’s gau raksha cell in Ramgarh. He is the one who informed the police and the three men arrested by police are his aides,” Sulaiman Khan, Akbar’s father, told DH. Akbar was attacked on suspicion of cow smuggling on June 21.

Aslam who was accompanying Akbar when the attack took place added, “I had said in my statement to police that there were more than six people when the attack took place and they were taking the name of Nawal. But the police has not mentioned his name anywhere in the chargesheet”.

Echoing the same views, Akbar’s wife Asmeena said, “I feel shattered. And filing a chargesheet has made no difference in my life. We want the arrest of all the guilty including Nawal”.

According to the police records, Sharma informed the cops about the incident. Incidentally, he also narrated the story to media about how Akbar’s clothes were changed with the locals’ help on that fateful night and also circulated a photograph of Akbar seated in a police van to prove that he was alive when police took him. In a 25-page-long chargesheet submitted in the Ramgarh Civil Court on Friday, police has said that three accused attacked Akbar at Lalawandi village in Alwar district when he was transporting his two cows and their calves, eventually leading to his death. Three accused identified as Naresh Singh (28), Dharmendra Yadav (24) and Paramjeet Singh (28) have been booked under Section 302 (punishment for murder), 334, 323, 341 of the Indian Penal Code.

However, police have not filed a chargesheet against suspended personnel of the Ramgarh police station, even after state Home Minister Gulab Singh Kataria had accepted in a press conference that evidence collected by high-level police team suggested that Akbar died in police custody

The role of policemen in the entire incident was under the scanner after assistant sub-inspector Mohan Singh admitted on camera that there had been a delay of three hours in taking the victim to the hospital.

Post-mortem report had revealed that he died of shock and injuries from a “blunt weapon or object” and succumbed to multiple injuries.