Two-year-old with multiple injuries battles for life at AIIMS

Two-year-old with multiple injuries battles for life at AIIMS

A two-year-old baby has been admitted to the AIIMS with severe head injuries, cardiac arrest and broken arms after suspected human bite and attack.

File photo

The doctors attending on her said she stands 50 per cent chances of survival but will be dependent for life.

"She was brought to us in a bitten and battered state on 18 January. Her head was badly smashed, she had broken arms, bite marks all over her body and her cheeks branded with hot iron. The teenaged girl who brought her to us claimed that the present state was a result of her falling off from the bed, which is unbelievable," Dr M C Misra, chief of Jai Prakash Narayan AIIMS Trauma Centre said.

"Since she has got bite marks all over her body we have asked our gynaecologist to carry out test for sexual abuse when she has recovered," he said.

The two-year-old, who is at the neurosurgery ICU of the AIIMS trauma centre, is on ventilator support and has had two cardiac arrests in the past few days, said Dr Deepak Aggarwal, a neurosurgeon there, who is looking into her case.

"Her chances of survival are fifty-fifty. If she did she will be dependent for the rest of her life because her brain has suffered permanent damage," he said. The teenaged girl who brought the child to the hospital and claimed to be her mother told hospital authorities that the baby who is now on ventilator support, was injured in a fall from the bed.

Dr Misra said, "The claims made by the girl who brought this child to us do not match with the injuries seen on the child's body. So we immediately informed the police. "The girl was presented before the child welfare committee. We got to know that she has been sent to a juvenile home. The baby's parents are still not traceable," he said.

A case under section 363 (kidnapping), 317 (abandoning a child below the age of 12 years) and 324 and 325 (dealing with hurt) has been registered against unknown persons in connection with the incident, Chhaya Sharma, Deputy Commissioner of Police (South), told PTI.

"The parents of the child could not be traced yet. We have trail till Uttam Nagar. We are investigating the case," she said. A senior police official said the child was admitted to the hospital by a 15-year-old girl, who, police later found, had allegedly eloped with a boy and was staying in Sangam Vihar.

The girl had told hospital authorities that she was the mother of the child, the official said, adding the constable at the AIIMS Police Post became suspicious at this and did not allow her to go home.

Further investigations revealed that she had allegedly eloped with a boy last year. A case of kidnapping was registered in this regard at Sangam Vihar police station. The girl was later sent to Children's Home.

The child was with her for about past 20 days, the official said. The girl told police that the child got bruises on her body when she tried to prevent her from running around. The fractures were after the child fell in the bathroom, the official said.

Sharma said they will put the photo of the child in ZIPNET, a network of police forces in five northern states, to know whether the victim was kidnapped earlier. Also, it could help parents approach police. She said the Child Welfare Committee and Juvenile Justice Board have instructed the hospital authorities to take proper care of the child.