A pall of gloom has descended over the state since Shivakumara Swami, the head pontiff of five-centuries-old Siddaganga Mutt in Tumakuru passed away at 11.44 am on Monday. As DH's Chiranjeevi Kulkarni reported, when the body of the seer was brought to his seat at Prasada Nilaya in Siddaganga Mutt, at 3.30 pm, a wave of wails swept through the crowd with children and old men alike bidding adieu to their beloved seer. Many had a look of disbelief and called their close ones on phone to convey the news as tears rolled down their eyes. The grief was not limited to Siddaganga Mutt -- several leaders, politicians and citizens even took to Twitter to express their grief over the passing of the ‘Nadedaduva Devaru’ (god in human form or walking god as he was fondly known). DH brings together some of the tweets:
1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi condoled the demise of Shivakumara Swami, saying he represented the best of Indian traditions and lived for the people, especially the poor.
2. Sandalwood actor Chetan Ahimsa tweeted:
3. Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev, founder of Isha Foundation said ''the seer will be remembered for his relentless service.''
4. Udupi-Chikkamagaluru MP Shobha Karandlaje expressed her sentiments on Twitter as well.
5. Congress President Rahul Gandhi also took to Twitter to express grief on the seer's demise:
6. President Ram Nath Kovind also expressed grief over the demise of the pontiff.