Liverpool stay in the title hunt

Liverpool stay in the title hunt

Never back down: Liverpool's Divock Origi (second from right) celebrates with team-mates after scoring the winner against Newcastle United on Saturday. REUTERS

In a gripping title race, Liverpool showed they are ready to push Manchester City right until the final seconds of this season with their spirited 3-2 win at Newcastle United.

An 86th minute header from substitute Divock Origi secured the victory but in many ways, it was also the willpower and guts of Jurgen Klopp's side that made sure of the three vital points.

The result leaves Liverpool with a two-point advantage over Manchester City but Pep Guardiola's team have two games remaining, including Monday's home match with Leicester City, while Liverpool have just one -- their final game at home to Wolves.

No Premier League table has ever looked like this with eight days of the season remaining -- Liverpool have 94 points and City 92 -- third place Tottenham are more than 20 points behind.

A Liverpool draw would have given City a margin for error in their final two games - and it is hard to imagine they would have let it slip with a trip to lowly Brighton on the final day.

Liverpool started without injured Brazilian forward Roberto Firmino and then in the second half lost their talismanic Egyptian striker Mohamed Salah, who was carried off on a stretcher after an aerial clash with Newcastle keeper Martin Dubravka.

All this coming after the 3-0 loss to Barcelona in their Champions League semifinal, first-leg on Wednesday.

But instead of doubts, in place of surrender, came an eighth Premier League win in a row that keeps Klopp's side right in the race and puts the pressure back on City.

The night began in relatively routine fashion -- Virgil Van Dijk headed Liverpool in front in the 13th minute, after losing his marker and meeting Trent Alexander-Arnold's corner with a thundering header.

Seven minutes later though Newcastle drew level with Salomon Rondon's shot cleared off the line by the hand of Alexander-Arnold but before the referee had time to award a penalty -- and surely punish the defender -- Christian Atsu fired home the loose ball.

Newcastle were now full of belief and energy and when the lively Ayoze Perez rattled the Liverpool bar with a fierce drive, the momentum seemed to have shifted.

But this Liverpool side have a habit of turning the tide and they did so quickly.

Daniel Sturridge, starting in place of Firmino, back-heeled the ball from the corner to Alexander-Arnold and the full-back's cross was expertly turned in by Salah.

Newcastle were in no mood to roll over though and nine minutes after the break they drew level when Liverpool failed to clear a corner and Rondon's brilliant fierce left foot drive beat the helpless Alisson Becker to make it 2-2.

Then Salah was forced out and in his place was sent out Origi, the towering Belgian, who is no match for Salah's invention but provides the kind of physical presence that can be so valuable when the game becomes a battle.

With four minutes of normal time remaining, Xherdan Shaqiri, who had been introduced at the break, whipped in a freekick from the right and Origi rose magnificently, his header flashing off Newcastle defender Jamaal Lascelles and into the net.

The Liverpool fans, perched so high up in the Leazes Stand, were delirious -- they had felt the hope fade towards despair and suddenly the belief was back.

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox

Check out all newsletters

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox