Mystery shrouds Sainik school student’s death

Mystery shrouds Sainik school student’s death


 A 14-year-old student of the Sainik School at Koodige near here died under mysterious circumstances on Saturday night.

The parents of the boy Chengappa, 14, a class IX student, have filed a complaint with the police, suspecting that it is a murder. Chengappa is the son of hockey coach of the school Poovaiah, a resident of Madapura in Somwarpet.

Vice principal Seema, Kannada teacher Manjappa, computer teacher Govindaraju and staff members Mathew and Sunil have been booked in the case.

According to Chengappa’s classmates, he fell unconsious at the laboratory. Later, he was shifted to the Koodige primary health centre in the school ambulance. Dr Ravichandran of the PHC said the student was brought dead to the hospital.

Parents say the school authorities hid the information from the parents and told them that their son was missing from the school and sent them out to search for him. The school authorities later shifted the body to the hospital in the evening. A probe should be conducted and strict action should be initiated against the suspects, said the parents. The post mortem was conducted at the district hospital on Sunday. A large number of relatives who had gathered in front of the hospital demanded that the vice principal come to the spot and give an explanation. The protesters demanded that a high-level probe be ordered into the incident.

Superintendent of Police P Rajendra Prasad who rushed to the spot tried to pacify the relatives and parents. The protest was withdrawn only after SP promised to get the suspects arrested.

The SP said the police were conducting a probe against five staffers of the school. The CCTV camera footages and post-mortem report would be looked into, he said.

Sainik School principal Capt R R Lall said Chengappa was declared brought dead by the doctors at the PHC at 8 pm. Earlier in the day, the boy was counselled by the teacher for an indiscipline act. In the evening, he was found unconscious in the school washroom from where he was taken to the hospital. The school would extend all support to the police in the investigation, Lall added.