Sub-standard buildings to be razed in Bellary

 
Demolition of the building under construction here that collapsed killing 12 people will be initiated as soon as the special equipment from a private company in Bangalore arrives here, Reddy said. “The demolition will probably begin on Sunday morning,” he said mediapersons.

After the demolition, city corporation officials and district ministers will visit every multi-storeyed building in Bellary, examine the building documents and quality of work. Buildings of poor quality would be demolished after vacating the residents. The action will be taken keeping view the welfare of people, Reddy added.

Reddy, who visited the collapsed building in the city said it will be demolished stage by stage. Around 15 more people are suspected to be trapped under the debris and the fire brigade and disaster management teams were trying to detect signs of life under the rubble.

Reddy said it would be difficult to find the position of the people trapped under the debris as they might have tried to move to safer locations. Priority would be given to rescue the victims, he said.

Declaring that “negligent and corrupt officials were directly responsible for the mishap”, Reddy said the corporation engineers had already been suspended in connection with the incident. Action will be taken to prevent such accidents in future, he added.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)