There are several options

There are several options


Study Abroad

Dear Madam, 

I have completed electronics and communication engineering. I want to pursue MS in Australia. I can spend around Rs 10 lakh per year. Can you please suggest some top universities? Is a two-year course better than a one-year course? Could you please help me with information? 



Dear Anu,

Australian universities offer one year as well as 2-year full-time programmes. Some programmes run for a duration of 18 months. The approximate tuition fee per year would be around 32,000 AUD. University of Sydney, Melbourne Institute of Technology, RMIT, Edith Cowan University, La Trobe University, University of Wollongong and the University of South Australia, University of Adelaide and Griffith University are some of the universities that offer Masters in Electronics and Communication engineering. As an entry requirement, you need to take the IELTS academic exam.

Since you are working around a budget, I would advise you to go for a one-year course. You will also save on one year’s living expenses. For more information on universities, fees, funding options etc., visit


Dear Madam,

My son has just joined an engineering college in the Computer Science stream. He wants to do further studies abroad. What opportunities does he have after BE? Also, I wanted to know the exams he has to take and when he should start preparing for it. Can he get any scholarship?



Dear Nutan,

Depending on the country where your son wishes to pursue his masters, he will have to meet the entry requirements. While an English exam like IELTS / TOEFL iBT / PTE is sufficient for UK, New Zealand and Australia; he would also have to take the GRE for USA, Canada, Singapore, Germany and other European countries. Scholarships, graduate assistantships, research assistantships and fellowships are offered to students with high academic credentials. Since he is pursuing computer science in his BE, he could specialise in any of these subjects for his masters: Artificial Intelligence, Computer and Network Security, Mobile and Web Computing, Human-Computer Interaction, Software Engineering, Bioinformatics, Information Management and Data Analytics.


Dear Madam,

I am in the 5th semester of Mining engineering. I am planning to pursue MS in the US. So, please suggest how to go about it. Should I take the exams in my next semester or in the final year?



Dear Santhosh,

The best schools to pursue Mining Engineering in the US are Colorado School of Mines, South Dakota School of Mines and Technology, Virginia Tech, Louisiana State University, University of Utah, Michigan Tech, University of Arizona, University of Alaska, West Virginia University and Pennsylvania State University. Start preparing for GRE from now and take the exam when you are in your 7th semester. Around the same time, you should also take the TOEFL iBT test. GRE practice tests like Magoosh and Manhattan will help achieve a high score. Aim for a score of 330. For registration of both GRE and TOEFL, visit


Dear Madam,

I want to pursue ME in Robotics and Control engineering (Department of Mechanical Engineering) at ETH Zurich. Please give details of the requirements, especially language, and the required score in GRE.



Dear Shaji,

The Department of Mechanical Engineering at ETH Zurich offers courses like Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Master of Science in Process Engineering, Master of Science in Micro and Nanosystems, Master of Science in Robotics, Systems and Control, and Master of Science in Nuclear Engineering. The Master’s programme in Mechanical Engineering is taught in English. However, it is advised to know level C1 of German from a recognised institute like the Goethe Institute. As far as English language requirements go, a score of 100 in TOEFL iBT or 7 in IELTS is accepted. GRE of 327 would be ideal.


Dear Madam,

I am a first-year BSc student. Do I need to take IELTS or TOEFL to study abroad even if I have studied in the ISC Board?



Dear Khushboo,

Some universities in the UK and New Zealand will accept your ISC English score if it is above 80%. Most other universities will require an English test like IELTS / TOEFL iBT / PTE. I suggest you take an English test irrespective of where you plan to study since it is a very simple exam that tests your reading, writing, speaking and listening skills. 


Dear Madam,

I have completed my 2nd PUC. I would like to study Weapon engineering. Kindly suggest which branch of engineering I have to study to do my Masters in Weapon Sciences. Could you also suggest universities to study this course?



Dear Sumaya,

This is an interesting and unique choice of subject. What I recommend you do is a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering and then go on to specialising in Weapon Engineering in your Masters. You are probably looking at a career in Defence or Armament agencies. The University of Cranfield, University of Leeds and Kings College London are known for Weapon Engineering. The only entry requirement is the IELTS exam. 


Dear Madam,

I am a Class 12 science student. I am interested in pursuing a course in Astrophysics either in Germany or the UK. On what basis the universities there provide scholarships? Will I be able to compensate for living expenses in those countries with just scholarship?


Dear Thejas,

University of Tubingen, University of Gottingen and University of Bonn in Germany, Lund University in Sweden, TU Delft and University of Amsterdam in the Netherlands, University of Cambridge, Imperial College London, Leeds University, University of Glasgow, University of Oxford, University of Manchester in UK and Ku Leuven in Belgium are among the best schools for Astrophysics in the world.

To qualify for a scholarship in any of these universities, you would need a high GPA, GRE or GATE Score, IELTS of 7 and above, a strong statement of purpose, letters of recommendation from three academic or professional referees and a very impressive resume. You should apply for scholarships offered in the universities and external scholarships offered in India. If you are lucky, your scholarship will include tuition and living expenses. You could also think of taking student loans.

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox

Check out all newsletters

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox