Kin of Samjhauta blast victims grabbed relief
Gautam Dheer, Chandigarh, Nov 16, 2012, DHNS 0:25 IST
Alleging usurping of compensation by their relatives, a few Pakistani families who lost their loved ones in the 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts near Panipat, Haryana, are set to meet officials of the Ministry of External Affairs in New Delhi on Monday.
At least three Pakistani nationals, who lost their relatives in the blast that killed 68 people, mostly Pakistan nationals, reached Panipat on Thursday.
Despite being awarded compensation in lakhs by the railways tribunal, they have not received any. The compensation was gobbled up by their relatives in India, Pakistan-based advocate Momin Malik alleged.
Malik said Munne Khan, a Pakistan national, whose wife and two children were killed in the blast, did not get the money as his relatives in India grabbed the Rs 15-lakh compensation.
“Khan’s relatives collected the compensation and told the aggrieved family members in Pakistan that their petition had been quashed by the court,” Malik claimed.
Citing another case of two brothers, Sayed Umar and Sayed Fahad Ali, who lost their parents in the blast, Malik alleged they lost a compensation of Rs 18 lakh to their relatives in India.
The matter has been taken up with the Pakistan High Commission in New Delhi and the Indian High Commission in Islamabad, Malik said.
He threatened to file police complaints against the relatives. The aggrieved families had moved Indian courts for enhancement of the compensation.
“General power of attorneys were given to their relatives in India for a smooth and expeditious trial. The court enhanced the compensation, but it never reached the beneficiaries,” Malik alleged.