NTPC divestment likely on Jan 15
The government is likely to divest 9.5 per cent of its stake in the largest power generator NTPC on January 15, sources said.
“NTPC is next on the government’s divestment agenda. The issue is likely to hit the market around January 15, 2013,” sources in the finance ministry said.
The government proposes to divest 9.5 per cent stake in NTPC via Offer for Sale (auction) route, they added.
NTPC shares on Tuesday close at Rs 154.30 a share, down 1.66 per cent on BSE.
The government holds 84.5 per cent stake in the Maharatna company. Post-disinvestment, the government stake would come down to 75 per cent.
NTPC became public with an initial public offer in 2004. Thereafter in 2009, the government further diluted its stake in the company through a Follow-on Public Offer (FPO).
The power generation company had reported a net profit of Rs 9,223.73 crore in the last fiscal as against Rs 9,102.59 crore in the 2010-11.
The market capitalisation of the company stood at 1,34,194.93 crore at the end of March 2012.
As part of the disinvestment process, the government has lined up around a dozen companies for stake sale to realise the target for the current fiscal. The government has set a disinvestment target of Rs 30,000 crore in the current fiscal.
Last month, the government initiated disinvestment process by selling 5.58 per cent stake in Hindustan Copper for about Rs 808 crore at an average price of Rs 156.56 apiece.
NMDC’s 10 per cent share sale is scheduled to take place tomorrow. The offer may fetch a maximum of Rs 5,947 crore to the exchequer.
The government, which has 90 per cent holding in the iron ore producer NMDC, plans to divest 39.65 crore shares, amounting to 10 per cent of its equity through offer for sale.