CBI closes probe against Mayawati
CBI decides to wind up probe in DA case against Mayawati
The CBI move comes on legal advice following a Supreme Court order two months ago.
The apex court dismissed a plea by one Kamlesh Verma on August 8 seeking investigations into the disproportionate assets of Mayawati and refused to reopen the CBI probe in the nine-year-old case.
The agency officials said they sought legal advice on the court order and experts were of the view that the agency should close the probe. The experts felt that if anyone wanted a probe, they could approach an appropriate court to get a suitable order with which the CBI would comply.
The issue of investigation came up again following Verma’s petition but the CBI could not do much as the apex court had last year quashed the FIR registered against Mayawati.
The apex court had also said that the CBI proceeded against Mayawati without properly understanding its orders, which were confined to the Taj Corridor case.
The court had said the disproportionate assets case against Mayawati was “unwarranted” and that the agency proceeded against her without properly understanding its orders, which were confined to the Taj Corridor case relating to the release of Rs 17 crore by the Uttar Pradesh government allegedly without sanction.
The CBI decision will come as a big relief for Mayawati, who lends outside support to the United Progressive Alliance government.
On September 20, the CBI had said that it was closing the disproportionate assets case against Mulayam.
Following the closure, there was speculation about the Mayawati’s case.