Press Esc to close
Sunday 20 August 2017
News updated at 3:00 AM IST

Man died in bath while charging iPhone in UK: Probe

London, Mar 20, 2017, PTI 14:13 IST
Richard Bull, who was charging the phone which was resting on his chest, suffered severe burns when his phone accidentally fell in water in his home in Ealing, west London, The Sun reported. Reuters file photo

Richard Bull, who was charging the phone which was resting on his chest, suffered severe burns when his phone accidentally fell in water in his home in Ealing, west London, The Sun reported. Reuters file photo

A 32-year-old British man, who was found dead in his bathroom, had been accidentally electrocuted as his iPhone fell in water while charging, according to a judicial probe.

Richard Bull, who was charging the phone which was resting on his chest, suffered severe burns when his phone accidentally fell in water in his home in Ealing, west London, The Sun reported.

A coroner -- responsible for holding inquests into violent, sudden, or suspicious deaths -- ruled that the man's death was accidental, and issued a warning on Thursday after hearing how the man was electrocuted while charging the phone, the report said.

Bull, who was getting ready to meet his family for Christmas when the tragedy occurred on December 11 last year, is believed to have plugged the charger into an extension cord and put it on his chest while using the phone, it said.

His wife Tanya found him lying unconscious when she returned home. She first thought he was attacked as he had injuries in his body.

Recording a verdict of accidental death, Dr Sean Cummings, who conducted the inquest at West London Coroner's Court on Wednesday said, "These seem like innocuous devices but can be as dangerous as a hairdryer in a bathroom. They should attach warnings. I intend to write a report later to the makers of the phone".

Bull's brother Andrew said, "We can all be careless at times. You do not think there is enough electricity to do this, but there is. It was such a needless and tragic accident".

His mother said, "I worry so many people, and especially teenagers who cannot be separated from their phones, do not know how dangerous it is".

Go to Top

Photo Gallery
Bollywood actor Vidyut Jamwal showcases a creation by designer Kazingmei during Lakme Fashion...

Bollywood actor Vidyut Jamwal showcases a creation by designer Kazingmei during Lakme Fashion...

Farmers takes part in oxen race of Kalapoottu in Pullaloor in Kozhikode...

Farmers takes part in oxen race of Kalapoottu in Pullaloor in Kozhikode...

Youngsters sit inside Humes pipes at a city street in Kolkata...

Youngsters sit inside Humes pipes at a city street in Kolkata...

Devotees performs 'Deodhani', a traditional folk dance from the Indian state of Assam...

Devotees performs 'Deodhani', a traditional folk dance from the Indian state of Assam...

Children stand waist-deep in flood water as they wait for rescue workers in Katihar...

Children stand waist-deep in flood water as they wait for rescue workers in Katihar...

A  file photo of  Infosys CEO Vishal Sikka...

A file photo of Infosys CEO Vishal Sikka...

Trainee recruits of Army undergo physical training at the Parachute Regiment Training...

Trainee recruits of Army undergo physical training at the Parachute Regiment Training...

A Chimpanzee looks on, at Alipore Zoological Garden in Kolkata...

A Chimpanzee looks on, at Alipore Zoological Garden in Kolkata...

A beautiful view of peacock on blooming tree branch at Bengre in Mangaluru...

A beautiful view of peacock on blooming tree branch at Bengre in Mangaluru...

People with their household belongings move to a relief camp from a flood-hit region...

People with their household belongings move to a relief camp from a flood-hit region...

Like us on Facebook

Copyright 2017, The Printers (Mysore) Private Ltd., 75, M.G Road, Post Box 5331, Bengaluru - 560001
Tel: +91 (80) 25880000 Fax No. +91 (80) 25880523
Powered by Yodasoft Technologies Pvt. Ltd.