Press Esc to close

Man died in bath while charging iPhone in UK: Probe

London, Mar 20, 2017, PTI 14:13 IST
Richard Bull, who was charging the phone which was resting on his chest, suffered severe burns when his phone accidentally fell in water in his home in Ealing, west London, The Sun reported. Reuters file photo

Richard Bull, who was charging the phone which was resting on his chest, suffered severe burns when his phone accidentally fell in water in his home in Ealing, west London, The Sun reported. Reuters file photo

A 32-year-old British man, who was found dead in his bathroom, had been accidentally electrocuted as his iPhone fell in water while charging, according to a judicial probe.

Richard Bull, who was charging the phone which was resting on his chest, suffered severe burns when his phone accidentally fell in water in his home in Ealing, west London, The Sun reported.

A coroner -- responsible for holding inquests into violent, sudden, or suspicious deaths -- ruled that the man's death was accidental, and issued a warning on Thursday after hearing how the man was electrocuted while charging the phone, the report said.

Bull, who was getting ready to meet his family for Christmas when the tragedy occurred on December 11 last year, is believed to have plugged the charger into an extension cord and put it on his chest while using the phone, it said.

His wife Tanya found him lying unconscious when she returned home. She first thought he was attacked as he had injuries in his body.

Recording a verdict of accidental death, Dr Sean Cummings, who conducted the inquest at West London Coroner's Court on Wednesday said, "These seem like innocuous devices but can be as dangerous as a hairdryer in a bathroom. They should attach warnings. I intend to write a report later to the makers of the phone".

Bull's brother Andrew said, "We can all be careless at times. You do not think there is enough electricity to do this, but there is. It was such a needless and tragic accident".

His mother said, "I worry so many people, and especially teenagers who cannot be separated from their phones, do not know how dangerous it is".

Go to Top

Photo Gallery
Smokes and flame comes out from the window after a high rise office building caught fire...

Smokes and flame comes out from the window after a high rise office building caught fire...

Officials of the Pakistani Anti-Narcotic Force destroy confiscated drugs and liquor in Lahore...

Officials of the Pakistani Anti-Narcotic Force destroy confiscated drugs and liquor in Lahore...

A view of illuminated Swaminarayan temple on occasion of Diwali in Surat...

A view of illuminated Swaminarayan temple on occasion of Diwali in Surat...

Students pose after lighting oil lamps around a 'Rangoli' outside their hostel...

Students pose after lighting oil lamps around a 'Rangoli' outside their hostel...

Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti celebrates Diwali with orphans in Jammu...

Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti celebrates Diwali with orphans in Jammu...

Prime Minister Narendra Modi celebrating the Diwali with the jawans of the Indian Army...

Prime Minister Narendra Modi celebrating the Diwali with the jawans of the Indian Army...

President Ram Nath Kovind greeting people on the occasion of Diwali festival at Rashtrapati Bhavan..

President Ram Nath Kovind greeting people on the occasion of Diwali festival at Rashtrapati Bhavan..

Devotees queued at Dakhheneswar Kali temple during Diwali festival in Kolkata...

Devotees queued at Dakhheneswar Kali temple during Diwali festival in Kolkata...

CPI(M) workers chant slogans at a protest rally outside BJP headquarters in New Delhi on Tuesday...

CPI(M) workers chant slogans at a protest rally outside BJP headquarters in New Delhi on Tuesday...

Woman teachers pose with Diwali greeting messages at a school in Moradabad on Tuesday...

Woman teachers pose with Diwali greeting messages at a school in Moradabad on Tuesday...

Like us on Facebook

Copyright 2017, The Printers (Mysore) Private Ltd., 75, M.G Road, Post Box 5331, Bengaluru - 560001
Tel: +91 (80) 25880000 Fax No. +91 (80) 25880523
Powered by Yodasoft Technologies Pvt. Ltd.