Bengaluru Rural SP C K Baba (C) and other officials at the accident spot in Doddaballapur town.
Credit: Bengaluru Rural police
A 15-year-old boy was killed and six others injured after firecrackers went off during a Ganesh Chaturthi idol immersion procession in Doddaballapur town on the outskirts of Bengaluru on Friday evening.
The deceased was identified as Muni alias Dhanush (15). Another boy, Yogesh, 15, is critical and undergoing treatment at Ramaiah Hospital. The accident occurred between 5:45 pm and 6 pm in Muttur village.
The police said the idol was mounted on a forklift surrounded by a large crowd, including children. Crackers — mainly a multi-shot box — had been placed near the vehicle’s silencer.
“It is unclear if the explosion was triggered by heat or a spark from the silencer. The matter is under investigation,” an officer stated.
When the box was lit, rockets shot into the crowd. One hit Muni in the ribs, killing him instantly. Police constable Zakir Hussain, on duty near the forklift, was injured when a cracker tore flesh from his arm. He is safe and will undergo surgery, officials said.
The other injured include two children aged 13 and 16, forklift driver Muniraju, 27, and bystander Nagaraj, 35. All are out of danger.
Bengaluru Rural SP C K Baba visited the spot and hospital.
A case has been filed against event organiser Maruthi and others under sections 105 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) and 125A (endangering life or safety) of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita, along with other provisions. Arrests are expected, the police said.
Firecracker ban under consideration: SP
Bengaluru Rural SP C K Baba told DH: "The district administration is considering banning the use of firecrackers during the immersion procession.
"This incident, where an innocent life was lost and a brave policeman was among the injured, is a reminder that safety must never be sacrificed for festivities or celebrations."