Sugar cane growers plan to meet Modi in Mysuru

Sugar cane growers plan  to meet Modi in Mysuru

Karnataka State Sugar Cane Growers’ Association (KSSGA) will submit a memorandum to Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his visit to the city.

Addressing press persons here on Thursday, Association president Kurbur Shanthakumar said that though the farming community had been facing a lot of problems no government had come forward to the farmers’ rescue. “During the prime minister’s visit, we will explain to him about farmers’ plight and urge him to introduce new norms for borrowing loans” he said.

According to available statistics, at present only 47 per cent of farmers in the country are eligible to enjoy government benefits, including loans and subsidies. The remaining 53 per cent are dependent on moneylenders. The suicide rate is high among such farmers, he said and demanded waiver of loans. The government should take steps to implement M S Swaminathan Commission report to fix prices for agriculture produce.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi is scheduled to inaugurate the 103rd Indian Science Congress in Mysuru on January 3.

The Union government is mulling to introduce seventh pay commission for its employees. The commission recommends overall hike of 23.55 per cent to them. In addition, the government is also planning to increase salaries of Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha members by 100 per cent. But, it has announced only 2.3 per cent price hike for agricultural produce. The government is doing injustice to farmers, he said.

Shantakumar said that the Association had written to the prime minister’s office (PMO) seeking permission to meet Narendra Modi during the latter’s visit to Mysuru.
DH News Service

Narendra Modi or Rahul Gandhi? Who will win the battle royale of the Lok Sabha Elections 2019


Get real-time news updates, views and analysis on Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on Deccanherald.com/news/lok-sabha-elections-2019 


Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram with #DHPoliticalTheatre for live updates on the Indian general elections 2019.

Comments (+)