40 taken ill after inhaling toxic gas

40 taken ill after inhaling toxic gas

At least 40 people were taken ill after inhaling toxic gas leaked from a pesticide plant at Maitapur in Simulia area of Odisha's Balasore district, the police said.

The incident occurred last night when some solid chemical substances were being boiled to prepare ingredients for manufacturing pesticides.

However, the gas generated in the process accidentally leaked from a pipe. After inhaling the gas about 40 persons complained of chest pain, nausea and vomiting.

Three people were immediately admitted to the local PHC while others were discharged after being administered first aid, sources said.

Sub-divisional police officer (SDPO), Balasore Sadar, Kailash Chandra Parida said: "The affected people who came in contact with the toxic gas last night, were immediately provided medical help and the situation now is normal."

Fire brigade from Bhadrak were pressed into service after the incident was reported.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)