Thai police recovers motorcycle left by Iranian bomb suspects

Thai police recovers motorcycle left by Iranian bomb suspects

Thai police have found a motorcycle allegedly left on the street by the Iranians detained in connection with recent blasts, with investigators probing whether there was a plan to use the bike for the attack.

An owner of an electrical appliances repair shop alerted police after he noticed the Honda Wave that had been parked in front of his shop for a long time.

Bomb disposal experts and forensic police rushed to the scene and checked the motorcycle, which was purchased from a shop in the Klong Tan area by one of the suspects, said Thailand's deputy police chief Pol Gen Pansiri Prapawat.

A police source said the motorcycle was bought for 26,400 baht (USD 844) by Masoud Sedaghatzadeh, 31, who was arrested in Kuala Lumpur on Wednesday after fleeing Thailand.

The Bangkok Post newspaper said that police found a sticker with the word "SEJEAL" under the motorcycle's seat. Palestinian militants have referred to their rockets and mortars used to attack Israel as "sejeal stones."

Local media quoted witnesses as saying that suspects used the motorcycle for travelling but police are investigating if they planned to use it for a bomb attack. Two Iranians are currently in custody in Bangkok.

Saeid Moradi, 28, was injured in one blast and is being treated at Chulalongkorn Hospital, while Mohammad Khazaei, 42, was detained at Suvarnabhumi airport. The third suspect is Sedaghatzadeh, while the fourth suspect is female, Leila Rohani, who has fled to Iran.

A court has approved a police request to issue a warrant for the fifth suspect who was seen on surveillance camera footage near a house just before an explosion ripped through it on Tuesday. Rohani entered Thailand four times last year. She flew back on February 5.

Khazaei came to Thailand for the first time on December 15 last year and departed on January 7.

He returned on February 8 accompanied by Moradi, flying from Kuala Lumpur to Phuket before flying to Suvarnabhumi. They went to Pattaya the same day to meet Sedaghatzadeh.

Police said there had not been enough evidence to confirm whether the fifth suspect was identified as Nikkhahfard Javad, who reportedly left the country on February 14. Police sources said all four suspects held tourist visas.

Meanwhile, Police in the resort town of Pattaya has asked operators of hotels and other types of accommodation to strictly follow regulations.

Authorities found that three suspects stayed at a guest house in Pattaya, but the operator did not report their names to local authorities within 24 hours, as required by law.

The police has also suggested establishments install closed-circuit TV systems and register all guests. Meanwhile, Foreign minister Surapong Towichukchaikul said it was not yet possible to seek the extradition of a bomb suspect from Malaysia to Thailand.
However, Malaysian authorities said they would fully cooperate with their counterparts in Thailand in this case.