80 take ill after drinking contaminated water

80 take ill after drinking contaminated water

80 take ill after drinking contaminated water

As many as 80 residents of Sambra village in Belgaum taluk were taken ill after they drank contaminated water on Saturday.

It is said that the water in the borewell and overhead tank in the village, the main sources of drinking water, were contaminated resulting in people falling ill.

Of the 80 people, 22 including women and children, who suffered vomiting and diarrhoea, have been admitted to district hospital in Belgaum.

A few are recuperating in their houses after receiving treatment at the hospital while others are being treated in private hospitals.

“A team of doctors from the Health department rushed to the village and gave first aid to the people. The people whose condition was critical and admitted to district hospital are recovering,” District Family and Health Welfare Officer Dr D C Munnoli told Deccan Herald.

The Gram Panchayat has been directed to make alternative arrangement for drinking water. Steps will be taken to clean the overhead tank and borewell which are polluted, he added.

24 children taken ill

In another incident, 24 schoolchildren taken ill after they consumed poisonous nuts at Chachadi in Soundatti taluk in Belgaum on Saturday.

The schoolchildren, who were playing near a temple in the village, mistook Jatropha seeds for groundnuts and consumed them.

The children who were severly affected by vomiting and diarrhoea were shifted to district hospital in Belgaum after administering first aid at a hospital in Bailahongala. The children are now out of danger.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)