Suspected food poisoning claims three of family

Suspected food poisoning claims three of family

Three of a family died of suspected food poisoning in their house at Okalipuram in the City on Sunday. Another family member is battling for life at a hospital.

Saravana, 30 a labourer and native of Tamil Nadu, his wife Amulu, 25, a native of Tirupati, their three-year-old son Jagadish (Chotu), and his 7-year-old nephew Seena (Chinnu), had ‘Puliyogare’ for dinner at their residence in Ambedkar Colony, Okalipuram on Saturday night.

At around 1 am on Sunday, all of them started throwing up and were feeling exhausted. Saravana prepared lime juice and asked them to consume it saying it would make them feel better, said the police. 

But, when Saravana woke up around 6 am, he found his nephew Seena writhing in severe stomach pain. Saravana rushed him to KC General Hospital in Malleswaram where the doctors declared him brought dead. 

Unconvinced, he took the boy to a nearby private hospital where also the doctors told him that the boy was no more. Seena had come to Saravana’s home for Mahashivaratri.Even as he returned home with his dead nephew, Saravana saw that the neighbours were shifting his wife and son to a hospital. 

He immediately went to check on them, but developed chest pain and collapsed. His wife and son were admitted at KC General Hospital while Saravana was taken to Jayadeva Hospital. 

But, Amulu and Jagadish did not respond to the treatment and died at the hospital. In a state of shock

“We have not yet informed Saravana about the death of his wife and son, as he is still in a state of shock over his nephew’s death. He is currently unconscious,” said an official attached to Srirampura police station.

According to the official, it was found that the family had purchased ‘Puliyogare’ mix from Sunday Bazaar in City Market area a month ago.

“This might have caused food poisoning. We are trying to locate the shop from which they bought the food items," the official said. A case has been registered.