Apex court further extends stay of marine in Italy

Apex court further extends stay of marine in Italy

Latorre who had surgery, still under medical observation

Apex court further extends stay of marine in Italy

The Supreme Court on Wednesday granted extension of the stay of Italian marine Massimiliano Latorre, who along with his colleague Salvatore Girone was accused of killing two fishermen off Kerala coast in 2012, in Italy till April 30.

A three-judge bench presided over by Justice A R Dave also asked the government and Italian ambassador to inform it about the time required for international arbitration proceedings before International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea (ITLOS) in the case.
Senior advocate Soli J Sorabee, appearing for Italian officers, described as stray reports about the news that Latorre will not return to India to face the proceedings here, on a query posed by the court.

He, however, submitted Latorre, who had undergone heart surgery, was not keeping well and still under observation of the doctors. Sorabjee also said it will take about one year to conclude proceedings at the ITLOS. Additional Solicitor General Pinky Anand, appearing for the Centre, submitted the government will inform about the development in the case on April 13, the next date of hearing.

One of the two marines, Latorre was granted permission by the court to go back to Italy on September 12, 2014 for surgery.

He was subsequently granted permission to stay back. Latorre and Salvatore Girone were on board ship Enrica Lexie when the offence of killing two fishermen off Kerala coast took place.

They claimed they mistook the fishermen for pirates. The Italy government as well as the naval officers had questioned the transfer of investigation into the case to the National Investigation Agency.

The apex court had earlier transferred the case from Kerala to Delhi. On August 26, the court had suspended all proceedings against two Italian marines in view of the pending proceedings before the international tribunal.