Fifteen injured in clashes in Kashmir

Milad Ahmad Dar (9), who was injured in a firing incident in Kulgam on August 14, succumbed to injuries in a hospital in Srinagar this morning, a police spokesman said.
Five youths were injured when security forces fired non lethal rubber pellets to defend themselves when a mob defying curfew pelted stones on security personnel patrolling in Seloo-Sopore in north Kashmir this afternoon.

The injured were identified as Farooq Ahmed, Tausif Ahmed, Naveed Ahmed, Tausif Ahmed Bhat and Tanveer Ahmed."Except Farooq Ahmed all others have been discharged from the Sopore hospital. Farooq has been referred to Bone and Joints Hospital, Srinagar," the spokesman said.

He said some miscreants also pelted stones on Karwan-e- Aman buses on Srinagar-Muaffarabad road connecting the state with Pakistan-occupied Kashmir.The buses which had dropped passengers at 'Aman Sethu' in Kaman post, the last territory of the state, in Uri sector were on way to Srinagar when the miscreants pelted stones at Sangrama, 40 kms from here in Baramulla district, he said.

Both the buses suffered damage but no one was injured, he said, adding it is the second time that these buses were stoned-pelted at Sangrama within a week.

The spokesman said stone pelting is going on in Jenab Sahib Soura in old city, where three members of a family were injured when security forces opened fire to disperse a huge mob which attacked a bunker in the area around noon today. "The mob, demanding removal of the CRPF troops from the premises of the shrine, attacked from all the sides to dismantle the bunker. Police and forces used tear gas and cane charged to disperse the mob. But it was regrouping again and again and pelting very heavily in which five securitymen were injured.

"Security forces had to fire in self defence. Three persons identified as Habibullah Tiploo, his daughter Sameera, and daughter-in-law Fatima were injured," the spokesman said.
The injured have been admitted in the S K Institute of Medical Sciences, Soura where condition of one of them was stated to be critical.

In Rainwari locality of old city, locals defied curfew and took to streets this morning protesting against the alleged "highhandedness" of security forces and police.
Two persons were injured in the clash between the two sides, the spokesman said.
Curfew remains clamped in Srinagar, Sopore, Anantnag, Qaimoh and Kulgam, while restrictions on the movement of people are in force as a precautionary measure in the rest of the Valley, police said.

Shops and business establishments, banks, educational institutions and private offices remained closed and transport remained off the roads across the Valley.
Police, paramilitary forces including Rapid Action Force personnel patrolled the streets in the Valley.

Kashmir has been rocked by violence following the death of a teenager on June 11 after being allegedly hit by a teargas shell at Gani Stadium near Rajouri Kadal.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get the top news in your inbox
Comments (+)