Sought-after courses

Study Abroad questions and answers
Last Updated 06 June 2018, 18:47 IST

Dear Madam,

I have completed MSc in Physics in 2014. I want to pursue PhD in Physics abroad. But I’m unaware of universities abroad and the exams I should take. Please provide information on this and the universities that fund PhD.


Dear Anu,

To pursue a PhD in any area, you need to research various websites of universities across the world, read up works of professors and shortlist a few that are in keeping with your area of interest. You should then write to each of these professors telling them about your research interest and convince them to accept you in their department.

Most PhD programmes are fully funded but unless someone is willing to be your guide, you can not apply to their department. The key to
being accepted in any PhD programme is your interaction with professors, how well you are able to assure them that you will be an asset to their department.

The university that accepts you and is willing to fund you would be the best one to

Dear Madam,

I am pursuing my BSc in Hotel Management. I have received a conditional offer for MSc in Leadership and Human Resources in GISMA Business School, Germany. What are the chances for a job as per my profile in Germany or any other European country? Will the degree be accepted in India?


Dear Nischita,

Your MSc from GISMA will be accepted all over the world. You can find job opportunities in any industry including leisure and tourism, consultancy firms, production and manufacturing, education (including universities), engineering, media, banking and finance. For more information, visit

Dear Madam,

I am a final-year BCom student. I am planning to do MBA abroad. Which country is best to study MBA? Could you also suggest a few scholarships that I can apply for?


Dear Manjunath,

For an MBA in a top university, you would require minimum three to four years work experience. If you wish to continue your studies without a break, I would recommend MBM, MIM, MA, MSc, MS in any specialisation of your choice.

The duration of these courses will be for two years in Europe, USA, Canada and Singapore while it is one year in UK, New Zealand and Australia. Scholarships are generally based on your GPA, GMAT or GRE score, English test scores like PTE, TOEFL or IELTS and finally a well-written personal essay.

Dear Madam,

I would like to study Master of Engineering Management (MEM) abroad after completing my undergraduate studies. My performance in the exams is above average. Which universities can I apply to? What tests do I need to write? What will the fee structure be like for such courses?


Dear Sujay,

If you want to study MEM in the US or Canada, the duration of the course is for two years. The fee and living expenses would be in the range of Rs 35 to 50 lakh per year depending on the university.

Entry requirement for MEM courses in most parts of the world would be BE or BTech with GRE and TOEFL iBT or IELTS. In the UK, New Zealand and Australia, it is a one year course and will cost you around Rs 20 to 25 lakh for study and living expenses put together. Entry requirement here is your Bachelor’s degree and IELTS. Most well-known universities around the world offer MEM programmes.

Dear Madam,

I finished my MSc in Actuarial Science in 2016. I want to work abroad but I have heard that without experience, nobody will get a job. So, could you please tell me how to get a job abroad directly? If not, what do I need to study abroad (a one-year or a six-month course) so that I can get a job?


Dear Chiranjeev,

Do a one-year full time course in a country which gives you long stay visas and work permits. I would recommend countries like Canada, New Zealand and Germany. Alternatively, if you are interested in research work, you can apply for a PhD programme in any university that will accept you.

These programmes are generally fully funded. This will give you an opportunity to experience studying, teaching and carrying out your research work in a new country. I would not recommend six-month courses. Many of them may not fulfil the requirement of a study visa.

Dear Madam,

I am a final-year BE student. I am interested in studying Masters in Management. Is France a good option? Also, please let me know the exams that I need to take, visa and job opportunities.


Dear Raj,

Masters in Management is a good alternative to an MBA for students who don’t have enough work experience. HEC Paris and Essec Business School, ESCP Europe, AUDENCIA Business School, Emlyon Business School and SKEMA Business School are among the best Business Schools in France. You would need to write an English test such as IELTS or TOEFL iBT, and GMAT. You would have to either write the global admission test or apply through SAI. Visit for more details.Career options are similar to that of MBA.

You could, depending on your interest, be in any area of management like HR, Marketing, Finance, Operations etc. MIM is a much sought-after course these days as it allows you direct progression after Bachelor’s. As far as the visa goes, like in any other country, once you get an offer from the university, you will apply for a student visa. For more details, check out

Dear Madam,

I am a third-year Electronics and Communication diploma student. Could you suggest a few universities in India or abroad that offer lateral entry after this course?


Dear Maheshwari,

Manipal University, DIT University, Netaji Subhash Engineering College, Kolkata, Delhi Technological University, Jamia Millia Islamia, MIT Karnataka are some of the Indian universities that offer lateral entry into their BTech programmes. So, you will be admitted into the second year and will complete your course in three years. Many universities in the UK will accept you in Year 2 of their Bachelor’s programme which is generally for a duration of three years. In this case, you complete your engineering degree in two years.

You can pursue courses like Embedded Technology, Telecommunications engineering, Electronics and electrical engineering and Communications engineering.If you do not wish to do a Bachelor’s in Engineering, you can pursue BSc in one of the specialised areas of your interest like Computer Science, Information Technology etc.

(Published 06 June 2018, 12:32 IST)

Follow us on