54-year-old dies, TN reports first COVID-19 death

54-year-old who tested coronavirus positive dies; Tamil Nadu reports first COVID-19 death

He was a building contractor in Madurai. (Credit: PTI Photo)

Tamil Nadu on Wednesday reported its first death due to COVID-19 with a 54-year-old man, who tested positive on Monday, succumbing to the virus. This takes the COVID-19 death toll in India to 11.

The man, who was the 12th patient to test positive in the state, which has 18 confirmed COVID-19 cases so far, had comorbid conditions like “uncontrollable diabetes and hypertension” and COPD.

Despite all efforts, the patient breathed his last at around 1.30 am on Wednesday at the Government Rajaji Hospital in Madurai, 460 km from here.

Follow latest updates on the COVID-19 pandemic here

"Despite our best efforts, the #COVID19 +ve Pt at MDU, #RajajiHospital, passed away few minutes back.He had medical history of prolonged illness with steroid dependent COPD, uncontrolled Diabetes with Hypertension," Health Minister C Vijayabhaskar tweeted at 2.02 am. 

He also said COVID-19 with comorbidity like uncontrollable diabetes and hypertension and immunosuppression are high risk-conditions and asked people with such conditions to be “extra cautious.”

Within hours of the death, the last rites of the 54-year-old man was completed before the break of the dawn after the body was handed over to the kin. A top district official told DH that the man was buried according to the standard operation procedure (SOP) laid out by the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.

“The last rites were completed with very few family members and a representative from the local Jamath. Everything was completed according to the procedure,” the official said.

Also Read: Coronavirus India update: State-wise total number of confirmed cases, deaths

The man, who did not have any travel history outside Tamil Nadu, is believed to have contracted COVID-19 after he came in contact with a group of tourists from Thailand -- two of whom are currently at the Government Hospital in Perundurai in Erode district after having tested positive for the virus.

The Minister had indicated Tuesday midnight that the battle to save the 12th patient might have been lost when he tweeted that he was not responding to treatment and was critical.

The deceased man was admitted to a private Hospital on Saturday and was shifted to the Government Rajaji Hospital the same night. His blood samples for Covid-19 were collected on Sunday and results came out on Monday.

While announcing his details, Vijayabhaskar had on Monday said the 12th patient had uncontrollable diabetes and hypertension which puts his life at risk.

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox

Check out all newsletters

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox