Three electrocuted in pre-monsoon showers

Three electrocuted in pre-monsoon showers

Three persons, including a nine-year-old girl and a 10-year-old boy died of electrocution as pre-monsoon showers hit Mumbai and its suburbs on Saturday evening.

While the rains did not have much of an impact on the rail and road traffic, there were delays in arrivals and departures at the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport.

The rains, at times heavy, accompanied by winds and cool breeze, brought the Mercury down in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region giving respite to the people reeling under the sweltering heat.

According to predictions by the IMD and Skymet Weather, the south-west monsoon is expected to hit India's commercial capital this week.

Weathermen have forecast cloudy skies with the possibility of rains and thundershowers on Sunday.

According to information available here, Anil Yadav (32), Om Appa Fadtare (10) and Zara Yunus Khan (9) died of electrocution at Khindipada at Bhandup in the central suburbs of Mumbai.

On Saturday evening, from 7 to 8.30 pm, there was a brief spell of showers in Mumbai and the adjoining suburbs of Palghar, Thane and Raigad districts.

There were several incidents of power outages in the suburbs, including the western suburbs of Vasai and Thane (Rural).

As a precautionary measure, Konkan area feeders in Kalyan, Ulhasnagar, Shahapur, Murbad, Dombivli, Titwala and Ambernath were shut down.

Meanwhile, Pune city recorded 25 mm rainfall during the day.

There were also reports of rains from Chandrapur, Brahmapuri, Buldhana, Akola in Vidarbha region, and Nanded and Osmandbad in Marathwada region.

In Mumbai and suburbs, the rains caught people unawares. There have been some cases of bikes skidding and people getting injured.

Because of the rains, a couple of flights were diverted from the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport.

A tweet by Jet Airways said, "Due to air traffic congestion in Mumbai consequent to adverse weather conditions we are expecting delays of up to 45 minutes on departures and arrival at Mumbai airport till 2330 hrs."

There were reports of water-logging in one part of Kurla.

The Western Railway cancelled four services and some trains were delayed because of a power crisis between Bhayender and Virar.