St Paul's CSI church celebrates 175 years

St Paul's CSI Church located near Nehru Maidan in Mangaluru, completes 175 years.

Prayers, thanksgiving, revival of old memories and fellowship marked the 175th celebrations of the historical St Paul's CSI (Church of South India) Church, located at the South west corner of Nehru Maidan.

Established in 1843, the historic edifice is one of the oldest standing churches in the city. Architecturally, St Paul’s Church is a heritage site that carries forward the rich history of its founding members and British officers.

After the Coorg rebellion of 1837, when Mangalore was attacked, the fortification of Mangalore resulted in the need for a Church to meet the  spiritual and moral needs of the British soldiers and officers of the crown.

In 1841, Rev R W Whitford Garrison Chaplain appealed to the then Government of Madras to construct a Church in Mangalore, which was accepted. The church building was completed in 1842, and consecrated by George Spencer, Church of England, Bishop of Madras, on January 5, 1843.

After the establishment of the Basel Mission in the area, it was also used by German missionaries until 1862. In 1947, St Paul’s Church became part of the South Indian Diocese, under CSI North Kerala Diocese. In 1971 it was transferred to the Karnataka Southern Diocese and thus continues it's forward march and blessing to it's people.

An interesting facet of St Paul’s Church is its clock tower, which contains a clock with two dials. The clock was made in the Mangalore workshop of the Basil Mission, is perhaps the oldest such curio visible.

General Secretary of Church of South India Synod, Chennai, Rt Rev Dr Ratnakara Sadananda in his sermon, said that it was a time of joy and thanksgiving. “The development and reconciliation that is received in so many ways is incalculable. This is an apt time for reflection, self discoveries at various levels of faith,” he stressed.

Contributors were felicitated on the occasion. Presbyter in-charge Rev Noel P Karkada, Treasurer Dr Jacob Chacko, Secretary Dr Prakash N Tharien and pastorate committee senior member Aruna Gojer were present among others.

Church Cemetery

St Paul’s Church has the privilege of maintaining the 218-year old Heritage Cemetery. The church cemetery on Telecom House Road (off Old Kent Road), has more than 70 tombs of British nationals. Prominent among them is the 20-foot-tall tomb of Brigadier-General John Carnac, the first person to have been laid to rest in the cemetery on November 29, 1800. Brigadier-General Carnac was second in command to Robert Clive at the Battle of Plassey.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry

Comments:

St Paul's CSI church celebrates 175 years

0 comments

Write the first review for this !