Pick a subject, opportunities will follow

Pick a subject of your choice, opportunities will follow

Study abroad

Study Abroad

Dear Madam, 

I completed my engineering in Computer Science and recently started working in an MNC. I am interested in pursuing MS abroad in the field of data analytics or data science. Can you please guide me regarding what further steps I need to take? What is the cost of studying abroad? 


Dear Rajesh,

You have to first decide which country you want to study in. The steps you need to take will depend on the choice of country. If for instance, you wish to go to the US, you need to write the GRE and TOEFL IBT test. If you want to study in the UK, you would have to write the IELTS academic test. The cost again varies from country to country. All masters programmes in the UK are for a duration of one year and will cost anywhere between Rs 20 to Rs 30 lakh for one year of tuition and living expenses, depending on the university. In the US, your MS programme will be for a duration of two years and it will cost you around Rs 45 lakh a year. Education in public universities in Germany is free for all. For computer science, the best universities in the United States are Carnegie Mellon, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign, Georgia Tech and Wisconsin Madison. In the UK, the top schools include St Andrews, UCL, Warwick, Edinburgh and Queen Mary. In Germany, I would recommend TU Munich, RWTH Aachen and Karlsruhe Institute of Technology.


Dear Madam,

My daughter has completed her BE in Mechanical Engineering with a CGPA above 9 out of 10 and worked in a steel company for a year. Now she has resigned her job and is looking for opportunities for higher studies abroad. She has developed interest in Robotics area for her higher studies. Can you please suggest some reputed universities for MS degree in Robotics in USA, UK and Germany? You may suggest universities in other countries also.


Dear JT,

Carnegie Mellon University, MIT, UC Berkeley, University of Southern California, Columbia, Georgia Tech, University of Pennsylvania are some of the best in the US for robotics. KTH Royal Institute of Technology, University of Freiburg, TU Munich, TU Delft, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, University of Bonn are well-known European universities. Imperial College London, University of Sheffield, Manchester, Essex, Edinburgh and Kings College London are the popular choices in the UK.


Dear Madam, 

I am a 10th standard student and I wish to study +1 and +2 abroad. Is this a good idea? Please guide. 


Dear Hema,

I suggest you go abroad after you complete grade 12. Completing high school in India will not only be cheaper but it will also give you a strong foundation. The only reason you should consider completing Class 11 and 12 in another country is if your parents are moving to that country. After the age of 18, this is the ideal age to step out and experience international education in a foreign country.


Dear Madam, 

I am interested in an academic career — one that involves research and teaching. I have a Masters in Economics. How do I proceed? 


Dear Latha,

Pursue your PhD in Economics. Pick a research topic, identify a few universities that offer PhD in your area of specialisation. Write to professors in these universities and share with them your research interest. If a university is convinced that you will add credit to their department, they will accept you as a research scholar, teacher assistant or research assistant. Most PhD programmes are fully funded.


Dear Madam, 

Many people who go abroad to study seem to be students of STEM. How are the opportunities for students of humanities? What similarities and differences can we expect? 


Dear Shambhu,

Students going to the United States look for STEM courses since it gives them a longer stay back option under optional practical training and opens up more job opportunities. On the other hand, the UK allows all students irrespective of their course two-year post-study stay back option. New Zealand gives all international students a three-year post-study work visa. Canada allows all students to apply for PR. So, go ahead and pick a subject of your choice, there are enough and more countries waiting to welcome Indian students.


Dear Madam, 

I want to work in product and graphic design. I have a degree in Journalism, Psychology and English. What courses do I choose and which universities are the best for this? Please guide.


Dear AP,

You could pursue courses like digital media, graphic design, visual communication, illustration etc. To pursue a course like product design, you would have to prepare a portfolio. With your current subject background and a three-year degree, I suggest you apply to UK universities. You need to only write the IELTS academic test and put together an impressive portfolio of 10 of your works with one or more mediums you are comfortable working with. Universities in the UK known for product design or graphic design are Nottingham Trent University, Kingston, University of Westminster, Bournemouth, University of Arts London, Glasgow School of Art and Leeds School of Art.

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox

Check out all newsletters

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox