After suicide, emotions stymie police procedure

After suicide, emotions stymie police procedure

Tale of passion

After suicide, emotions stymie police procedure

Time stood still for over four hours at the D J Halli police station for all those related to Kumar (30) after he allegedly committed suicide at his “girl friend’s house” at Kavalbyrasandra here on Tuesday morning.

According to a complaint lodged by his wife Shobha, Kumar hanged himself to death, as he was afraid of incurring the wrath of his brothers and family over his alleged relationship with Nirasha, who worked in a laundry service firm that his brother headed.

Nirasha sat at a dim-lit corner of the police station, weeping silently, while her father Magesh sat near her with anger, pain and fear in his eyes, wishing his daughter was “dead with Kumar”. Her step-mother was also sitting nearby, with the one-year-old child of Kumar and Nirasha.

Shobha, too, was at the police station, preventing Nirasha and her mother from speaking about the incident. Married to Kumar for six years, she worked with Nirasha and her husband at the contract laundry firm that Kumar handled for his brother. They had no children.

Kumar’s relationship with Nirasha came to light on Monday, when he was allegedly caught having sex with the 17-year-old girl. In the same evening, both Kumar and Shobha were taken to Nirasha’s house so that they “could talk over the matter”, but were retained there till Tuesday morning. While at Nirasha’s house, Kumar reportedly agreed to marry the girl. Irked by this, Shobha had a tiff with her husband.

But all squabbles ended giving way to an eerie silence around 12 noon on Tuesday when Kumar was found hanging.  As per Shobha’s complaint, Kumar might have committed suicide. But, according to Kumar’s brothers who stormed into the police station on Tuesday evening, their brother “was not that weak to commit suicide”.  Police, who were mute witness to the drama, have initiated an inquiry into the matter.