“A shortlist with six names has been drawn up and it will be made public shortly after the World Cup as a few of the candidates are still involved at the tournament,” said Majola.
“Our panel will start the interviews as soon as the shortlist is announced and we hope to make the appointment by June,” Majola was quoted as saying by the South African media. His comments meant that other names like legendary South Africa pacer Allan Donald currently serving as New Zealand’s bowling consultant, former Pakistan coach Richard Pybus and ex-Kiwi skipper Stephen Fleming are also in contention.
The team’s assistant coach Vincent Barnes is also in the reckoning for the top job. While Donald has confirmed that the New Zealand Cricket Council (NZCC) is negotiating with him to stay on, his former team-mate Kirsten will not be applying for an extension with the Indian team, which ends on April 2.
The contract of Van Zyl, who was at the helm for more than a year after Mickey Artur resigned in January 2010, came to an end with South Africa’s exit from the World Cup.
Meanwhile, Majola has also revealed that the out of favour Jacques Rudolph will not be considered as the next ODI captain.
Rudolph was last week appointed captain of the national ‘A’ team that will play against a second-string Bangladesh squad next month. “We already have a few names in mind for the captaincy, but we are still waiting for the input from Andrew Hudson (head of the national selection committee) and Corrie before deciding on the best possible candidate,” said Majola.
Majola, though, added that the choice may not necessarily be made from the 15-member squad that participated in the quadrennial extravaganza. “He does not necessarily have to be one of the 15 players from the tournament, but has to come from the 20 players that are contracted nationally,” Majola stressed.