Family of four suffer burns in gas cylinder blast

Family of four suffer burns in  gas cylinder blast

A family of four suffered burns when a gas cylinder leakage led to an explosion at their residence in Netajinagar in K P Agrahara in the early hours of Tuesday.

According to the police, S K Pandey, 40, his wife Radhika, 35, children Akshay, 10, and Jeevashri, 8, were injured in the incident.


The house has been damaged and the kitchen walls have developed cracks.
While Radhika and the children were discharged after being administered first aid, Pandey, who suffered 80 per cent burns, is battling for his life at the Victoria Hospital, police said

The police said Pandey, who runs a condiment factory on the ground floor of the building, finished his dinner and went to sleep along with his family members. At around 1.30 am, he sensed a strong odour and got up to check on it.

He then realised the gas was leaking from the cylinder in the kitchen. He went into the kitchen and switched the lights on, but the gas cylinder exploded with a loud bang and injured Pandey and his family members who were sleeping in the next room, police said.

The loud bang awoke the neighbours who rushed out and found Pandey’s house damaged and the family screaming for help. They immediately alerted the police and shifted the family to a private hospital.

A senior police officer said the entire area where Pandey lived was populated mainly by condiment manufacturers, a majority of whom had their factories on the ground floor. “Pandey’s family resides on the first floor and the house has no proper ventilation,” he said.

The KP Agrahara police are investigating the case.

Assembly elections 2019 | Get the latest news, views and analysis on elections in Haryana and Maharashtra on DeccanHerald.com


For election-related news in Maharashtra, click here

For election-related news in Haryana, click here

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)