Change tracks when you want to

Change tracks when you want to

study in india

Change tracks when you want to

Dear Sir,
I am a I PUC (PCMC) student in Bengaluru. I have a lot of interest in the developments taking place in mobile technology, science(specially atomic physics) and current affairs. Can you please advise me about the course I can consider to take after PUC and the colleges that offer them as I am confused about my future steps. Thank you.
Dwijesh Athrey K

Dear Dwijesh,
If you wish to be part of the great mobile technology revolution that is sweeping the world, you can start with a basic engineering degree in computer science, telecommunication or electronics and then go on to specialise. On the other hand, study of atomic physics takes you into a different world which involves exploration, research and study of pure sciences. Current affairs is again a very different area which will lead you into journalism, civil services, international affairs, or social sciences.

Since your interest range is very wide, it would be better that you get an aptitude test done to find out your talents and strengths and select accordingly. Aptitude testing is done by many institutions in Bengaluru, and you can get details from Banjara Academy on 23535766 or 23330200.

Dear Sir,
I am a third year BE student. I would like to know if there is a possibility of taking up basic sciences after completing BE, since I am not interested in the technical field and want to study pure science in India. If yes, please suggest what courses can be taken up at the postgraduate level given that I only have a background in engineering . Also, what are the premier institutions to study in for such courses? Thank you.
A student

Dear Student,
Nothing prevents you from moving from engineering to basic sciences. You can prepare when you come to final year and appear for the Joint Admission Test for MSc (JAM) exam which gets you admission into MSc in IITs and other prestigious institutions.
Details are available on Do narrow down to which subject you would like to study and what your long term career goal is.
There are other prestigious institutions offering studies
in specific fields of science, and you can choose accordingly.

Dear Sir,
I am an average student studying in II PUC (PCMB). The problem is that I am very much interested in taking up commerce at the college level as I am interested in pursuing CA. Is there any problem if I take up my career in commerce field after doing science in my PU? What are the subjects I have to concentrate on while doing BCom? Further, if not for CA, what are the other options I have in the commerce field?

Dear Anonymous,
Chartered Accountancy is open to students of any stream. You can straight away apply for the Common Proficiency Test (CPT). Details are available on It will be good if you can brush up subjects like Accountancy and Business Studies since you are not studying them in PUC. If you succeed in CPT in the first attempt, you know that you are capable of pursuing CA, and you can do a commerce degree, if you wish to, through an open university while you put your entire focus on the subsequent levels of completing CA. Keep in mind that it is highly competitive and you will need to work hard.

Dear Sir,
I am 18 years old, currently studying II PUC (Commerce). I have been doing well in my studies and am hopeful that the coming Boards will also pass smoothly. But I am unable to decide what to do after II PUC. I don’t want to opt for any professional courses like CA or CS. I want to do something different. I have an interest and also want to make a career in the defence.

So, please tell me whether there is any such post in the defence for females in my field of study. And if there is, which are the universities offering such courses. I read your article in DH dated Feb 18, where you mentioned two websites to check the details about career in the defence, but unfortunately, I was unable to understand the content of the websites. Please do help me.
A student.

Dear Student,
If you are happy with the subjects you have studied so far in commerce, then you can continue with a BCom and then explore career opportunities by the time you come to the final year.

Do keep brushing up your general knowledge and current affairs to clear the highly competitive exams. Girls with BCom are recruited in Defence Forces Accounts Branch as uniformed officers.
You also have the options of appearing for Civil Service Exams and opting for all-India services like Indian

Defence Accounts Service, Indian Cantonments Administrative Service (see details in At a slightly lower level, you can seek employment in departments such as Accountant General’s office, Income Tax, Central Secretariat Services etc.

Dr Ali Khwaja is the founder and chairman of Banjara Academy, Bengaluru.

Send in your queries to Education, Deccan Herald,
75, MG Road,
Bengaluru-560001 or

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
Comments (+)