Mysuru woman returns to warm welcome from CM

Mysuru woman returns to warm welcome from CM

Chief Minister H D Kumaraswamy with Padma at Vidhana Soudha on Thursday. DH Photo/S K Dinesh

Padma, the Mysuru woman who was found to have been lodged in a Shimla mental hospital for the past two years, returned to Karnataka on Thursday evening.

On landing in Bengaluru, she was taken straight to Vidhana Soudha where she found an audience with Chief Minister H D Kumaraswamy.  

In its July 23 edition, DH had reported the woman’s plight, especially her constant yearning to return home. Padma found shelter at the Himachal Hospital of Mental Health and Rehabilitation (HHMHR) in Shimla after she was found roaming in Kangra, about 217 km from the hill station.

Based on the report, Kumaraswamy directed the Mysuru district administration to arrange for Padma’s return.

At his chambers in Vidhana Soudha, Kumaraswamy felicitated Padma with a shawl, a garland and sweets. Doctors attending to Padma said she had lost her memory but added she could regain it with proper treatment. She will be kept under observation at the State Home for Women in Mysuru for 10 days after which the course of diagnosis will be decided, the doctors said.

Padma was not able to even respond when Kumaraswamy enquired about her health.

The chief minister expressed gratitude to doctors and staffers at the Shimla hospital. The chief minister also hailed Mysuru Deputy Commissioner Abhiram G Sankar and officials from the Department of Health and Family Welfare for the quick response.

Kumaraswamy said the state government will bear all the medical expenses of Padma till she recovers.

Her nephew in Mysuru has come forward to look after her and has also sought a house for her, the chief minister said.

Padma’s roots were traced to Makanahallipalya, Kampalapura village in Periyapatna taluk in Mysuru district.

adma went in search of her husband who abandoned her and went on to marry another woman. All that Padma could recollect was waiting at the Channapatna bus stand when two policewomen told her they would take her home. The next thing she knew, she landed in Himachal Pradesh.

Found as a vagabond in Kangra, she was taken to Dr Rajendra Prasad Government Medical College there and later referred to HHMHR in June 2016.