Fire in plastic factory kills 1, injures 3 firemen

The fire started from a short circuit
Last Updated 30 September 2016, 04:57 IST

A major fire broke out Wednesday evening in a plastic making factory in Outer Delhi’s Narela killing one labourer and injuring three fire fighters.

The fire started at 4:40 pm from a short circuit. Initially around 20 fire tenders were rushed to the spot, but when the fire got out of control 20 more were deputed to contain the spreading blaze.

“A quick reaction team, four police control vans and two ambulances of the centralised accident and trauma services were also dispatched. The fire was finally doused around 8:10 am on Thursday. However, rescue operations continued into the afternoon,” said a senior police officer.

The fire was reported by a labourer who was working in the factory, he had spotted sparks as a result of a short circuit after which the fire started to spread.

He quickly alerted the people working in the factory after which they all tried to evacuate the building. However, news spread of some labourers being trapped in the blaze.

The front portion of the building had remained intact while the rest of the building started to collapse. “We had sent in fire fighters to rescue trapped labourers after devising alternate routes as the main entrance of the building was blocked with debris,” said the officer.

The NDRF was also roped in after the walls of the factory had started to cave in.“We had to call in the rescue team as it was impossible to clear the debris. We have sought help from the NDRF to remove the mortar,” he further added.

In the morning the Delhi health minister, Satyendar Jain reached the spot to inspect the extent of damage. He had expressed hope that the rescue teams would be successful in trying to access the building.

“Hopefully, the persons trapped inside will soon be rescued,” he said. After the injured were rescued from the debris they were shifted to the nearest hospital. While one of the fire fighters was released on Wednesday night itself, the other two fire fighters are recovering from their injuries.

The deceased identified as Sajan Kumar, 27, is a labourer. He succumbed to his injuries on Thursday.

So far no police case has been registered into the incident as the police have informed that they are currently concentrating on clearing the premises to make sure no untoward incident takes place and will wait for the report from the fire officials.

(Published 30 September 2016, 04:57 IST)

Follow us on