Gauri murder case: suspects complain of police atrocities

Gauri murder case: suspects complain of police atrocities

The magistrate on Monday extended the custody of the arrested suspects in the Gauri murder case for four days.

The four suspects, arrested in the murder case of journalist-activist Gauri Lankesh and conspiracy to kill Kannada writer KS Bhagwan, complained of police atrocities while in the custody, before the magistrate.

They were produced before the magistrate after their custody ended on Monday, who extended their custody for four more days.

The Special Investigation Team (SIT) took to the custody Sujeet Kumar alias Praveen (37) from Udupi in the Gauri Lakesh murder case.

The Upparpet police arrested three people (linked to Sanatan Sanstha outfit and its affiliate Hindu Janajagruti Samiti) Amol Kale alias Bhaisab (39) from Maharashtra; Amit Degwekar alias Pradeep (39) from Goa; and Manohar Edave (28) from Vijayapura over the conspiracy to kill Bhagwan.

Complaints against SIT

Manohar Edave submitted that the SIT officials mentally and physically tortured them when in their custody.

They would be woken up at 4 am for questioning and the officials would note down their own statements. But later forced them to sign it, Edave said.

He added that the police would ask them the same questions repeatedly 24/7. Even in the Bhagwan case, same officials questioned them, he said.

The officials questioning them said that they were with the Upparpet police while both the cases are investigated by SIT officials, he said.

On May 31, the SIT booked all four suspects in the Gauri Lankesh murder case and took them to a 10-day custody.

On Monday, the SIT got four more days of their custody for further interrogation.

During the hearing, the SIT officials submitted the investigation progress report in a closed envelope.

However, N P Amrutesh, the advocate representing the accused, opposed the move and sought to make the document public. He also disapproved the additional four days of custody.