Goon attacks police in escape bid, shot at

Goon attacks police in escape bid, shot at

In the wee hours of Sunday, the city police opened fire at a goon on the run, after he assaulted a police party in a bid to escape in Annapoorneshwari Nagar, West Bengaluru.

Rajesh Pratap, a native of Chikkamagaluru, was on the run after robbing Rs 50 lakh in July this year, the police said. He is a rowdy sheeter in N R Pura police station limits, with eight criminal cases pending against him.

According to the police, Rajesh and his associates attacked a city-based builder, Ramegowda, in July. The gang ransacked Ramegowda’s house and made away with Rs 50 lakh in cash. Ramegowda had withdrawn the amount from a bank to purchase a resort in the outskirts of the city. The money was meant to be a part of the advance payment, he told the police.

Ramegowda’s complaint to the police said that he was attacked by a group of 12 members, who were part of Rajesh’s gang. The police swung into action and arrested the 12 members. They recovered Rs 12.3 lakh from the gang, which the gang members had received as part of their shares in the heist. However, Rajesh managed to hoodwink the police and was on the run since then.

On Friday night, the Annapoorneshwarinagar police received credible information that Rajesh was taking shelter at a house in Block 8, Vishweshwaraiah Layout.

When a police team headed by inspector Rajashekaraiah surrounded the house, Rajesh attacked the head constable, Mahesh Kumar, with daggers in a bid to escape. Kumar sustained a cut injury to his left hand.

Police inspector Rajashekariah fired in the air warning Rajesh to drop the weapons and surrender. As he did not budge and continued attacking the police, the inspector fired a round on his leg immobilising him. Later, both Rajesh and the constable were taken to separate hospitals for treatment. The Annapoorneshwarinagar police have taken up a case of assault on police, and under the Arms Act. Further investigations are on.