Foundation for hi-tech fish market laid

Kaup MLA Lalaji R Mendon lighting the lamp as a part of    foundation laying ceremony for fish market in Padubidri. CDA Chairman B Nagaraj Shetty looks on. DH Photo

Padubidri is the first fish market out of the 10 proposed high-tech fish markets that would come up in the three coastal districts of Dakshina Kannada, Udupi and Uttara Kannada.

Out of the estimated Rs 76.92 lakh project cost, 90 per cent (Rs 69.23 lakh) would be borne by National Fisheries Development Board (NFDB) while the remaining 10 per cent would be borne by State government agency.

Speaking on the occasion, Nagaraj Shetty said the main aim of the hi-tech fish markets is to support poor fisherfolk who have been hit hard following the setting up of hi-tech fish stalls at malls. Stating that the project would help two lakh fish sellers directly and another 60,000 fisherfolk indirectly, he said a team has already studied the problems being faced by fisherfolk in the coastal districts.

The new fish markets will have all the facilities that includes toilets, dressing room, rest rooms, dining and bathrooms and more importantly individual space (cabin) to sit and sell the fish. Every cabin will be fitted with a stainless steel tray so that it is easy to clean the same. The slope ground will help the waste water flow to drain automatically.

According to an estimate, as many as 27,597 persons sell fish in Dakshina Kannada, 60,048 in Udupi and 54,025 in Uttara Kannada districts.

The other high-tech fish markets would come up at Kaup, Katpady, Sasthana, Uppunda and Bydoor (all in Udupi district), Shirali, Ankola and Karwar (all in Uttara Kannada district) and Bantwal (in Dakshina Kannada district).

Kaup MLA Lalaji R Mendon, Byndoor MLA Lakshminarayan, CDA Member Secretary Dr K Prabhakar Rao and many fishermen community leaders among others were present.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry