Henaberu cattle death mystery solved

Henaberu cattle death mystery solved

The series of death of cattle in Henaberu in Paduvari village of Udupi district was due to  Clostridial Toxicosis bacteria, which produced potent toxins, said Animal Husbandry department Deputy Director Dr Manjunath.

Speaking at Paduvari Grama Sabha, he said this was confirmed by the report on the samples of dead and ailing cattle sent to the Institute of Animal Health and Veterinary Biologicals (IAHVB), Bangalore.

He said that the cattle which had ingested the toxins from the carcasses of poultry or other animals, either died on the spot or later in the cowsheds. Normally, the toxins come in contact with the grass, which the cattle had consumed.

He said the only way of preventing death of cattle was to prevent dumping of carcasses of poultry or other animals near the village.

 The cattle or other animals should not have any access to carcasses. Once the toxins enter the body, then the cattle can not be saved, said Dr Nagaraj, veterinary officer from Baindoor.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)