Mosquito coil leads to fire, labourer dies

A 55-year-old man died of suffocation when a lit mosquito coil led to a fire at his house in Vijinapura under the Ramamurthy Nagar police limits in the early hours of Thursday.

The deceased Madhavan was a construction labourer. On Wednesday night he came home drunk and lit a mosquito coil before falling asleep. The sofa caught fire and Madhavan did not realise this. He inhaled the smoke and died of suffocation. Passersby noticed the thick smoke and alerted the neighbours. Police were informed and they controlled the smoke.

They found Madhavan lying unconscious and shifted him to a hospital where he was declared brought dead. The incident took place when Madhavan’s son had gone to work and his daughter was at a relative’s place, said the police.

A case of unnatural death has been registered and investigation is being carried out.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)