Govt plans drive to clear drain encroachment

Govt plans drive to clear drain encroachment

Govt plans drive to clear drain encroachment

The State government will launch a massive drive to clear encroachments in and around stormwater drains in the City, Bengaluru Development Minister K J George said on Tuesday.

Speaking to reporters after holding a meeting with top officials of the Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike and Bengaluru Water Supply and Sewerage Board, George said the process of reclaiming encroached ‘rajakaluves’ and desilting of SWDs would be completed by March-end.

“It will be a massive drive and will be launched in about 10 to 15 days. The Bengaluru Urban district administration will also be roped in. Such encroachments have led to reduction of the carrying capacity of the drains, water stagnation on roads and flooding of localities,” George said.

Silt from the drains could be used to fill abandoned quarry pits in and around Bengaluru. As many as 460 acres of such land had been identified. Once the pits are filled, the land could be developed into playgrounds and for setting up tree parks, he said.

George said the government would also launch an awareness campaign to promote rainwater harvesting. All major government agencies will be roped in for the awareness drive, he said.