3 die in fresh violence in J&K

3 die in fresh violence in J&K

A policeman among those killed; five others injured

3 die in fresh violence in J&K

Three more people, including a policeman, were killed in fresh bouts of violence in the Kashmir valley on Friday, taking the toll to 41 in last one week's trouble.

Protests and stone throwing continued in several places despite security forces not lifting the curfew imposed soon after violence broke out on July 8.

Reports said a youth died when security forces opened fire on protestors in Khumriyal area of north Kashmir in Kupwara district. Several others were injured in the incident.

Sources said a policeman was killed while five others were injured when suspected militants hurled a grenade on the police station in Yaripura in Kulgam in south Kashmir. The grenade was hurled as protests continued in the village. A civilian was killed when policemen opened fire to quell the violence, sources added.

In Baramulla town of north Kashmir, two siblings received gun shot injuries when the Army opened fire to disperse protesters. Several people were injured in stone throwing incidents in dozens of areas in north and south Kashmir. The situation in Srinagar was no different as protests and clashes continued late into night.

Reports said protesters set ablaze a personal vehicle of a police constable on the outskirts of the city.

Local media said about 3,200, including 1,500 security personnel, have been injured since the violence erupted after the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen Commander Burhan Wani on July 8.

The authorities have imposed curfew in Pahalgam, which is one of the two base camps for the annual Amarnath Yatra, is coming under curfew for the first time.

Officials said yatra remains suspended because of prevailing situation. No yatri was allowed to go from Jammu towards Baltal, the other base camp, and Pahalgam.

Friday prayers were not held in most of the places in the Valley because of violence and curfew. Mobile and Internet services continued to be affected as private operators have been asked to suspend operations till further orders. Only post-paid services of state-owned BSNL were operational.

In the wake of current unrest, the Army has moved two Infantry battalions from Jammu to Srinagar to beef up the security.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
Comments (+)