Curfew lifted from most parts

Curfew lifted from most parts

Boiling Valley: Kashmir remains paralysed for 20th day

Curfew lifted from most parts

With improvement in situation, curfew was lifted from most parts of the Kashmir Valley on Thursday. However, life remained paralyzed for the 20th consecutive day due to the strike called by the separatists.

A police spokesman said the situation throughout the Valley remained peaceful “though minor instances of stone pelting were reported from some places.”

He said except Anantnag town in south Kashmir, curfew was lifted from all parts of Kashmir while prohibitory orders under section 144 continue to remain in force.

However, sources said, curfew and restrictions will be re-imposed on July 29 in most areas of Kashmir as there is apprehension of violence after Friday congregation prayers. District Magistrate, Pulwama, Muneer-ul-Islam said curfew will be imposed in all the six police stations of the district on July 29.

With the Kashmir Valley shut since July 8, when Hizb-ul-Muajhideen commander Burhan Wani was killed in an encounter, the state government has approved extension of filing of tax returns for the first quarter of the year from July 3I to August 3I.

An official spokesman said the decision was taken in view of the persistent demand of the business community who were finding it difficult to do so due to breakdown of internet services in the Valley.

Though the postpaid mobile telephone services have been restored across all networks in the Valley, the mobile internet services remain suspended for almost three weeks.

Schools, colleges and business establishments continue to remain closed due to the strike while public transport is off roads. Attendance in government offices is very thin as orders by the government to reopen educational institutions have yielded no results so far.

Over 50 civilians have died in the aftermath of Burhan’s killing, while thousands others including security personnel have been injured, during violent clashes.

Reminiscent of the 2008 and 2010 unrest, separatists have been issuing weekly protest calendars in the Valley, since July 8, asking people when to open or shut their shops and come out on the streets for demonstrations. Meanwhile, reports of protests between stone pleting youth and security forces poured in from several parts of old city Srinagar and south Kashmir which were going on when this report was filed.