Byatarayanapura inspector shunted out for failing to curb Cauvery riots

Last Updated 21 September 2016, 20:38 IST
The police inspector attached to the Byatarayanapura police station on Mysuru Road was shunted out for laxity in controlling the mob during the September 12 arson and riots in the city during the Cauvery protests.

A top police source said the inspector, Hemanth Kumar, was transferred as he failed to control the mob. “He has been transferred for dereliction of duty and his posting is not known. A report has also been submitted to the Director General and Inspector General of Police (DG&IGP) recommending suspension of Satyanarayana Kudur, assistant commissioner of police (ACP), Kengeri Gate sub division,” a senior officer said.

Meanwhile, on Wednesday, there were no untoward incidents in the city. Around 16,000 police personnel were keeping tight vigil on the streets. Constant patrolling and route marches were carried out in sensitive areas. Announcements were made asking people to refrain from indulging in any kind of violence or disturbing normal life.

City police commissioner N S Megharikh said, “The situation is peaceful. All deputy commissioners of police have been directed to keep a watch in their jurisdiction. Special forces will camp in the city till September 25 and if required, their stay will be extended.”

Members of various pro-Kannada organisations staged a protest near Town Hall, State Bank of Mysore circle and other places. They were all detained and later released in the evening.

Kannada Vatal Paksha leader Vatal Nagaraj and his associates were also detained when they tried to stage a protest in front of Vidhana Soudha. They were taken to Sheshadripuram police station and released later. Karnataka State Reserve Police (KSRP) and Rapid Action Force (RAF) platoons were deployed near Vidhana Soudha, Chief Minister's residence and Legislators’ Home.

827 arrested

A senior police officer said, “Around 827 people have been arrested and 204 cases have been registered in various police stations so far in connection with arson and violence which took place on September 12.”

“The arrested people were questioned and based on their information, more people will be arrested. A detailed investigation will be carried out at the earliest. For now, the law and order in the city is our prime concern,” added the officer. Liquor shops remained closed for the second consecutive day on Wednesday as a precaution.
(Published 21 September 2016, 20:36 IST)

Follow us on