Wide array of possibilities

study abroad
Last Updated 22 February 2017, 18:34 IST

Dear Madam,

One of my nephews is currently studying in 12th standard in Bengaluru. He is also preparing for IIT. He also wants to go abroad for his undergraduate studies in engineering. Also inform about the tests he should take up, possibilities of getting a scholarship and scores required for it. Please provide information about the cost of education (including accommodation). Also let us know whether doing UG from an IIT is better than studying the course abroad.  
Dhruva K R

Dear Dhruva,
If your nephew gets admission in an IIT, nothing like it. It is generally easier to get admission in a top US university than in an IIT. The reason being you have many institutions to choose from. There is no entrance exam for engineering in a foreign university. He needs to write the SAT, Subject SAT in three subjects including Math Level 2, TOEFL iBT or IELTS. In the UK, the engineering degree is a three-year programme while in USA, Germany, Canada, Singapore etc it is a four-year programme. Tuition fees in the UK can be between 10,000 GBP to 20,000 GBP per year depending on the University. Living expenses in UK is around 6,000 to 10,000 GBP per year.

In Germany all the public universities are free. Cost of living would be around 800 Euros a month. In the US, tuition and living costs together will be in the range of 50,000 to 70,000 USD per year. Scholarships are offered to students with high GPA and a good SAT score. For more information please visit www.umaaswani.com.

Dear Madam,
I will be completing my BSc
(Horticulture) shortly. I would like to do higher studies abroad. I am planning to take TOEFL exam. Please let me know about the cost of study if I get a seat abroad for my postgraduation.

Dear Arun,
A Masters programme in UK, Australia or New Zealand will be cheaper than elsewhere in the world since the duration of the programme in these countries is one year. So you end up saving on tuition as well as living expenses. TOEFL results are accepted everywhere except in UK. IELTS results are accepted in UK and other countries. Cost of studies and living expenses are mentioned in detail in the answer above.

Dear Madam,
Which college can I opt for to study MS in Computer Engineering in the US? Will the state-funded universities be better compared to the private ones? How much cash should be in my account before sending the application?
A student

Dear Student,
Some of the best universities in the US for Computer Engineering are University of California Berkeley, University of California Los Angeles, MIT, University of Southern California, University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign, Carnegie Mellon University, University of Michigan Ann Arbor, Georgia Institute of Technology, Purdue University, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech) and all the Ivy leagues. As an international student, it doesn’t matter if you go to a public or private university.

Quality of education and facilities are excellent in both state-funded and private universities. You should have sufficient funds to cover your tuition fees and cost of living for the first year’s education in your account. I would say 70,000 USD should be enough.

Dear Madam,  
I am a third semester Computer Science and Engineering student. I am interested in taking up MBA abroad after BE. My GPA in the first and second semesters are 9.08 and 8.75 respectively. Please suggest some good colleges and suitable scholarships.  
Rutu D

Dear Rutu,
If you are keen on an MBA, work for a couple of years before you are ready to apply to a university. Alternately, think of doing an MS in a specialisation area of your choice. They hold as much significance as an MBA would in the job market. Scholarships, graduate assistantships and research assistantships are offered to students with high academic achievements, publications, projects, internships and a good score in GMAT or GRE. For university options in different countries, visit www.umaaswani.com.

Dear Madam,
I am in my final year undergraduate degree in social work. I would like to get further information about courses available abroad in social work and eligibility criteria.
Geons K James

Dear Geons,
For Social Work, I would recommend UK universities. They offer a two-year full time programme in MSW which includes work placements. The fee would be anything
between 7,000 GBP to 20,000 GBP depending on the university. You need to only write the IELTS exam and get a good GPA in your Bachelors. Some of the UK universities that offer this course are University of Edinburgh, Middlesex University, Sheffield Hallam University and Kingston University.

Dear Madam,
I am a graduate in Mechanical engineering. I have got a year’s experience in a renowned tyre manufacturing company. I am interested in doing MS in Germany or any other country. I have a CGA of 7.89. Please suggest a few colleges and the GRE requirements.
Sunny George

Dear Sunny,
A GRE score of over 320 and knowledge of German language would help get into a good university. Esslingen University, Rwth Aachen, Berlin Institute of Technology, Technical University of Munich, Freiberg University and University of Stuttgart are some of the leading universities in Germany for Masters in Mechanical Engineering.

Uma Aswani is an educationist and consultant based in Bengaluru.

Send in your queries to Education, Deccan Herald, 75, MG Road, Bengaluru-560001 or e-mail us at dheducation@deccanherald.co.in with ‘Study Abroad’ in the
subject line.

(Published 22 February 2017, 17:03 IST)

Follow us on