India break jinx, beat Myanmar

India break jinx, beat Myanmar

Football AFC Asian Cup qualifiers : Chhetri strikes late to seal the deal

India break jinx, beat Myanmar
 A last-minute strike by Sunil Chhetri helped India break a 64-year-old jinx as they pipped Myanmar by a solitary goal to begin their AFC Asian Cup qualifiers campaign on a promising note here on Tuesday.

India had not beaten Myanmar in their own den since October 1953 when they won 4-2 in a quadrangular tournament held in the then Rangoon (now Yangon). Myanmar beat India 1-0 the last time they met, during the 2014 AFC Challenge Cup qualifiers in Yangon in March 2013.

Myanmar were the better side in the first of the two-legged home -and-away Group A match as they controlled the midfield for most part of the game but India ran away with three full points with Chhetri scoring in the 90th minute from an Udanta Singh assist.

The youthful Myanmar side have been together for some time preparing for this competition and India head coach Stephen Constantine had even conceded before the match that the home team would start as favourites.

Myanmar did all the attacking, especially in the second session when the Indian defence was under seize for long period of time.

But, the Myanmar forward line lacked the finishing abilities and they had very few clear chances at the Indian goal. The Indian defenders were able to thwart the waves of opposition attack before captain Chhetri scored his 53rd international goal that stunned the large home crowd at Thuwunna Stadium.

India next play Kyrgyzstan at home on June 13. Macau are the fourth side in Group A and the two top teams will qualify for the final round of the 2019 AFC Asian Cup in the United Arab Emirates.

It was a fast-paced match and both sides showed intent to score at the first opportunity. India, ranked 40 places higher than their opponents at 132nd, as usual took some time to settle down.

Myanmar forwards Kyaw Ko Ko and Aung Thu created a lot of problems for the Indian defence with their pace with the home side mostly initiating their attacks from the right flank.
India started on a cautious note and opted to hold the ball more than the hosts. Myanmar, on the other hand had an attempt at the Indian goal within the first five minutes but Anas Edathodika kept Kyaw Ko Ko at bay.

Chhetri hit the gas immediately while he cut into from the left flank but a Myanmar defender cleared the danger. India got back-to-back throws adjacent to the opposition penalty box but Myanmar defenders outnumbered their Indian counterparts to prevent them from drawing the first blood.

Just after the 15-minute mark, danger loomed large for India while Thein Than Win and Si Thu Aung combined well and built up a blistering attack from the left flank but the cross was cleared by Anas, who made his International debut.

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox

Check out all newsletters

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox