Vijayapura shuts down over schoolgirl's rape and murder

Vijayapura shuts down over schoolgirl's rape and murder

A dawn to dusk Vijayapura bandh on Saturday called by several people's organisation, condemning the rape and murder of a schoolgirl, has evoked good response.

But for a stray incident of stone pelting on a KSRTC bus on Indi Road, the bandh was by and large peaceful.

The city witnessed a total shutdown. Buses remained off road since morning as the KSRTC bus stand wore a deserted look through the day. Traders shut down shops voluntarily while many schools and colleges remained closed.

The agitating activists expressed their anguish against the heinous incident by burning tyres on several roads in the city.

Thousands gathered at Ambedkar Circle in the morning and took out a protest jatha. The jatha passed through Gandhi Circle via Siddeshwara Temple and before culminating at Ambedkar Circle.

The agitators held a massive rally at Ambedkar Circle. They did not allow Union Minister Ramesh Jigajinagi to address the gathering.

The minister, however, addressed the protesters without mike. He said that he's hurt by the inhuman incident.

The state government should get the rape and murder of the schoolgirl probed by the CBI.
Earlier in the day, the Union minister visited the parents of the victim and handed over a cheque for Rs 1 lakh to them on behalf of BJP.

Sindhigi town too shut down on Saturday, condemning the rape and murder of the schoolgirl in Vijayapura, recently.

Four suspects arrested

Meanwhile, the district police have arrested four suspects and have handed them over to the CID.

CID Superintendent of Police Anandkumar, in charge of the team investigating the rape and murder of a minor girl, told reporters that the suspects are Sagar More, Srishail Mucchandi and Kailas Rathod. The name of the fourth suspect was not disclosed as his age is yet to be confirmed.

Three more persons involved in the case are absconding, he said, adding that their whereabouts had been identified. They would be arrested soon, he added.

Anandkumar said the arrested had changed their movements frequently. They were once located in Mumbai, then Pune and then Solapur in Maharashtra, before moving to Indi in Vijayapura district.

He said the rape of the girl had been confirmed, but whether it was gang-rape or not would be confirmed only after getting the post-mortem report.

Liked the story?

  • 0

  • 0

  • 0

  • 0

  • 0