Teens held in plot to attack NY school

The two teenagers extensively researched bomb making, attempted to buy a shotgun and set a June 10 date for the planned attack on Connetquot High School in Bohemia, Suffolk County police Sgt Bill Doherty said.

Evidence from the 16-year-old girl’s computer and cell phone showed they had searched bomb-making and explosives websites, and exchanged text messages in which they discussed plans to buy firearms and kill people, the police said.

Both were arrested and charged as adults with conspiracy. The boy pleaded not guilty at his arraignment on Friday, while his girlfriend entered a not-guilty plea last week.
Authorities uncovered the plan after the boy’s social worker alerted them last month that the two might be planning an attack, Doherty said.

The warning followed what the police believe was a public proclamation of the boy’s venom for his former classmates. After a car accident that led to the death of two students earlier this year, someone using the 17-year-old’s name left messages on a Facebook memorial page expressing his satisfaction.

“He apparently has quite a bit of hatred for this class in general,” Doherty said. Both teenagers tried to buy a shotgun but were turned away because neither was 18, so they hatched a plan to return on his June 8 birthday to buy one shotgun, then come back the following day for another.

They planned to enter the school and start shooting on June 10, Doherty said.The girl was released without bail. The boy will be held in jail until his court date on June 8.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)