Life sentence for Shubha, 3 others

Life sentence for Shubha, 3 others

She had conspired to kill her fiance four days after engagement

Life sentence for Shubha, 3 others

Shubha coming out of the civil court after she was sentenced to life imprisonment on Wednesday. The main accused Arun Verma (circled) is also seen. DH Photo

Besides Shubha, her boyfriend Arun Verma and two of his associates were also convicted for life on charges of murder. On December 2003, Shubha roped in her boyfriend, two of his friends and killed her fiance Girish at air view point on Domlur-Kormangala Ring Road.

The 17th Fast Track court judge Vanti Kodi pronounced the quantum of judgment and sent all the four to life imprisonment. A fine of Rs 50,000 each was also levied on the four accused and the amount will be handed over to Girish’s family.

In turn, Shubha was given two years extra jail term and Rs 20,000 fine for trying to destroy evidence.

Venkat Rao, special public prosecutor for the case, told Deccan Herald that Shubha, Arun Verma and Dinesh were charged under 120B criminal conspiracy and murder while Venkatesh got life term under IPC 320 (murder). Shubha was in the prison for nearly six months and managed to get bail and now, excluding the period she was in the jail, she will serve the full sentence.

Ramesh, Girish’s brother, while thanking the judicial system said: “We never saw Shubha in any of the court hearings; it was not possible to make an eye contact as there was so much anger and frustration. But we are happy that the case has reached a logical end."

Will move the High Court

Sources said Shubha's legal counsel had already prepared to move the High Court and are confident of overcoming the tide.

The 17th court hall was overflowing with advocates, media and especially, many junior lawyers who were eager to know the quantum of punishment to be handed over to their colleague, Shubha.

On Wednesday, around 12.30 pm, all the four accused in the case were produced before the magistrate. Shubha looked unmoved and had a deadpan expression while Arun and Dinesh covered their faces and tried to hide from the media, especially the cameras.

The court hall was packed. No one moved an inch until the case was further posted to 4 pm. Sensing the rush of people, the verdict was pronounced half an hour early.

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox

Check out all newsletters

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox