Study Abroad- Plan ahead

Last Updated 03 May 2018, 05:40 IST

Dear Madam,

I am a sixth-semester I&P engineering student. I want to study International Law. Could you let me know the scope for this course in India and abroad? Is a degree in International Law useful in any way to work in the embassies or central government posts at the judicial level? Also, inform about the entrance exams I have to write.


Dear Laxmi,

After studying I & P, you cannot switch to International law unless you want to start your undergraduate studies again with an LLB. Law is a specialised subject and you need to have studied it in your Bachelor’s before pursuing your Master’s in it. If you want to study Law abroad, I would recommend UK, Australia, and New Zealand since in all these countries your LLB programme is for a duration of only three years and also the Law in all these countries is the same as in India.

Most of the UK law programmes are recognised by the Bar Council of India.

If you are unhappy with your current choice of subjects, I would recommend a Master’s in Management which you can pursue after you complete your engineering degree.

To work in an Embassy, you don’t necessarily need a Law degree. Another option after your engineering is perhaps to write the IAS or IFS exam. That will take you to all those dream jobs you are looking at.

Dear Madam,

I am an MTech graduate from BITS Pilani with over 15 years of experience in machine tool design. I am now interested to do a PhD in Robotics in Japan or elsewhere.

Can you give information about good places for research in Robotics or related fields? Also give information about the procedure and criteria for admission for PhD in Japan.


Dear SW,

For most PhD applications in all countries including Japan, you need to carry out extensive research on various university websites on works of different professors who have carried out research in areas of your interest and communicate with them effectively requesting them to be your mentor.

Send them your research and academic publications, if any, to demonstrate your academic ability.

Once you receive a letter of acceptance from a professor, you can apply for the PhD programme. The only test required by universities in Japan is TOEFL or IELTS. Tohuku University, Osaka Institute of Technology and University of Tokyo are some of the universities known for Robotics.

Dear Madam,

I am a third semester BE (Computer Science) student. Is the syllabus for GRE, GATE and TOEFL the same? Could you also let me know the best universities to pursue a Master’s in Computer Science in Germany?


Dear Annu,

The syllabus for the three exams are completely different. While GATE is the test required by all the IITs and IISc, GRE and TOEFL are required by foreign universities. Please refer to the following websites for more details including syllabus, past papers, pattern of the test and registration of each of the exams. For GATE, visit www.gate.iitg.ac.in. For GRE and TOEFL, visit www.ets.org. Most public universities in Germany do not charge any tuition fee even for international students.

Although it is not mandatory, it would help to do a German language course before you apply to German universities.

TU of Chemnitz, Ilmenau University of Technology,
TU of Munich, TU of Darmstadt, RWTH Aachen, TU of Kaisserslautern are some of the good universities for Computer Science programmes.

Dear Madam,

I am a serving short service commissioned officer in the Indian Armed Forces and will be retiring in 2020. I would like to pursue a one-year MBA from US, UK or Australia.

Kindly suggest the best universities and country to do one-year MBA which provides comfortable long stay visa and work permit post-study.


Dear Arun,

One-year MBA programs are offered in UK, New Zealand and Australia. In all other countries it is a two-year programme. I would recommend New Zealand since the cost of study is very reasonable and they offer long-stay visa and work permit post-study.

You could pursue an MBA in any area of interest to you like Human Resource Management, Marketing, Entrepreneurship, Logistics, Supply Chain Management etc. For specialisations like Accounts and Finance, you would need to have a background in those subjects.

Dear Madam,

I am a Class 9 student. I am interested in studying IT after Class 12. But I am in a dilemma as I am also interested in becoming an animator.

Is there any course that combines animation and IT? Is it necessary to do engineering to study IT? What should I do to study in UK or Singapore?

Siddarth R Puranik

Dear Siddarth,

You can pursue your Bachelor of Science in IT and specialise in Multimedia and
Animation, Gaming design, etc.

These are courses that are closely related and offered together in many universities.

You don’t have to do an engineering degree. To study in the UK, you need to only write the IELTS exam, which is a simple English language test. For Singapore, in addition to the IELTS, you need to take the SAT and SAT subject tests in any two subjects.

Dear Madam,

I have been working as an IT professional for almost three years now and I would like to pursue my higher education in Management. But I am not sure if I should pursue a Master’s degree in Management or an MBA. What is the major difference between these two degrees? Do the employment opportunities vary with the two degrees? Kindly guide.


Dear Deepak,

A Master’s degree in Management is more suited for you with your three years of work experience. Many universities accept students with three years’ experience for MBA as well. Having said that, MBA is generally meant for mature professionals with four to five years of work experience.

The employment opportunities are plenty for both courses. Both MBA and MBM are for a duration of one year in countries like UK, New Zealand and Australia and for two years in other countries.

For more information on entry requirement, fees, post study visa etc, visit www.umaaswani.com.

(Published 03 May 2018, 05:37 IST)

Follow us on