That statistic may just show that the chronically drought-affected district may be known for its poverty, but is rich in corruption.
Between January 1, 2009 and October 15 this year, Lokayukta sleuths have trapped a large number of officers and people’s representatives while accepting bribes.
Since 2009 to October 15, 2010, the Lokayukta officials have trapped officials and people’s representatives whoile taking the bribe.
The biggest catch among people’s representatives Zilla Panchayat president M Srinivasan, while Superintendent of Police K P Puttaswami City Municipal Commissioner Ramadas are the highest ranked officers.
Puttaswami was arrested in his office by Lokayukta officers, while he was receiving a bribe of Rs. 10,000 from a constable.Ramadas is facing charge of collecting a bribe of Rs 75,000 from a contractor.
It can be mentioned here is that SP Puttaswami was arrested in his office by the Lokayukta personnel when he was allegedly receiving bribe of Rs 10,000 from a constable. City Municipal Commissioner Ramadas is facing the bribery charge.
He was allegedly collecting bribe of Rs 75,000 from a contractor on October 1.
Indicating the alarming spread of corruption in the panchayats is the large number of Villages Accounts arrested - six.
But what is significant to note here is that the number of village accountants (six) among the trapped are high.
Among the others charged by the Lokayukta officers for corruption include a Commercial Tax Officer, an assistant Engineer, a Deputy Director and an assistant director of the Planning Department, two Grama Panchayat secretaries, three peons , a police constable and a bill collector. Most of them were arrested while accepting bribes in their offices.
Apart from them, gram panchayat secretaries (two), peons (three), constables, bill collectors (one), assistant executive engineer, executive officer (one), deputy director and assistant director (one) of planning department also figure in the list of nabbed.
Even, commercial tax officer (one), police superintendent, zilla panchayat president, City Municipal Council president’s arrest by Lokayukta officials has shocked the people of the district. Majority of them have been caught while accepting bribe in their offices.
The six VAs allegedly sought and received bribes for issuing title deeds, changing title deeds for conversion of land.
The Grama Panchayat secretaries were apprehended while accepting bribes to prepare fake bills for non-existent work by contractors under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS) in the district.
A second Division Assistant at the Tahsildar’s office was trapped while receiving bribe from a person who had sought information under the RTI.
So widespread is the corruption and so common the phenomenon is, that the Secretary of Angodanahalli Grama Panchayat is learnt to have sought a bribe from Gopisandra Grama Panchayat member, V Venkatesh.
The six village accountants have allegedly received bribe amount for issuing title deeds, changing title deeds and for land conversion. While the gram panchayat secretaries have found to be accepting bribe for finalising the bill under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme in the district.
Even, a second divisional assistant at the Tahsildar’s office was trapped while receiving bribe from a person who had sought information under RTI. Worst is, Angandonahalli gram panchayat secretary is learnt to have sought bribe from Gopisandra gram panchayat member V Venkatesh.
Lokayukta Superintendent of Police S B Sudhakar told Deccan Herald that complainants need to stand by their case till courts deliver their verdict. “Many a time, witnessed turn hostile in the court, weakening the case,” he said.
Lokayukta SP S B Sudhakar speaking with Deccan Herald observed that complainants must maintain their temp till the court decides on the accused.
“Many a times, the witnesses turn hostile in the court. This weakens the case,” he added.
Lokayukta raids in 2010
* Feb 6: ZP president M Srinivasan arrested in his office while accepting a bribe of Rs three lakh from a health officer.
* Feb 15: GP secretary Chandrashekhar arrested while accepting a bribe from Ashoka Reddy to prepare a bill under MGNREGS.
* April 17: Commercial Tax officer G M Ramanna arrested while accepting a bribe of Rs 40,000 from A S Nagaraja to reduce the tax amount.
* May 10: Planning Department Assistant Director M Liyakhat was nabbed while taking a bribe of Rs 1,500 from K Ravi to give a blueprint of his house.
* May 12: Assistant Executive Engineer in-charge D M Narayanaswami caught while accepting a bribe from M Manjunath to prepare a bill under MGNREGS.
* May 25: SDA Nagaraj of the Tahsildar’s office arrested while seeking a bribe of Rs 1,000 to provide information under RTI from Krishnamurthy M.
* June 29: District Industries Centre Deputy Director arrested in his office for accepting a bribe of Rs 3,500 from Gangappa to approve a bill under SC/ST special scheme.
* August 31: Head constable M Shivakumar of Urigam police station was caught while taking Rs 2,000 bribe from Shashikumar for securintg him bail.
* October 1: City Municipal Council Commissioner G Ramadas for taking Rs 75,000 from a contractor to approve a water supply work bill to the tune of Rs 30 lakh.
* October 5: Dinnehalli Village accountant Anantharaman was arrested by Lokayukta while taking Rs 2,000 from Gopal for giving him a title deed.