Young being indoctrinated into 'jihad' in Pak, confesses Waqas

Last Updated 24 March 2014, 17:04 IST

Alleged Indian Mujahideen terrorist Zia Ur Rehman alias Waqas, who was arrested by the Special Cell of Delhi Police on Saturday, has further shed light on how innocent youths as young as 15 years are indoctrinated into 'jihad' at terror camps in Pakistan.

According to a senior police official associated with interrogation, in 2009, Waqas came in contact with one Taj Mohammed through some newspaper advertisement. He used to collect donations on behalf of Jamaat-Ud-Dawa, the front organisation for LeT.

"He told Mohammed that he wanted to go to Kashmir and fight. To test his interest, Mohammed turned him down twice but as he insisted, Mohammed arranged for Rehman's training at the Naushera camp," the official said.

Here along with 20-25 youth, all between the age of 15 to 20 years he started the 21-day training called 'Daura-e-Aam'.

Here, one Abu Bakar, Abdulla, Azhar, Naeem were their instructors while overall head was one Abu Manzur, he said.

Waqas says that it was a rigorous training programme which started at 5:30 in the morning and continued till 5:00 in the evening.

"It started with morning prayers and physical training exercises. Breakfast was given at 8:00 which was followed by religious classes. This was followed by training of using weapon including AK-47, INSAS, G-2 gun and pistols. There was lunch break between 12 to 2 PM after which they were taught firing," the official said.

After completing this, he wanted to do more following which one Abdur Rehman of JeM arranged for his training at a camp situated in Waziristan. Federally Administered Tribal Area (FATA), where he received intensive training in arms and ammunition.

Here he got a 25-day training known as 'Zuhaib', where he got intensive training in handling of arms and ammunitions. He then jumped on to the next level where only a select few could reach. Here he got specialised 10-day training in preparation of IEDs, through Hydrogen Peroxide (liquid form), Potassium Chloride and Ammonium Nitrate.
"He also did ten-day training in Electronic circuit making under one Ahmed Bhai who taught him to prepare six kinds of circuits," the official said.

After completing the training, Rehman directed Waqas to reach Karachi and stay at a hotel. Later Riyaz Bhatkal met him identifying himself as Javed who to go to Kathmandu.

From Pakistan, Waqas had reached Kathmandu along with Asadullah Akhtar alias Haddi (arrested with Yasin Bhatkal) in September 2010 and was received by Tehseen Akhtar alias Monu, the current chief of Indian Mujahideen after the arrest of Bhatkal.

From Nepal, Waqas came to Darbhanga in Bihar where he met Yaseen Bhatkal and other members of the Bihar module of IM.

(Published 24 March 2014, 17:04 IST)

Follow us on