IM behind Delhi firing, reveal police

Tracking terror: Outfit used fake ID to send emails to media offices

IM behind Delhi firing, reveal police

Police in the national capital, who are investigating the case, said the terrorists sent emails from an Indian location to media offices just hours after shooting at foreign tourists and blowing up a car on Sunday.

“The suspects waited for a few hours to assess the damage caused by the car explosion near the mosque”, sources in the police said.

The emails claimed that the attack had been carried out on the second anniversary of the police encounter at Batla House (near Jamia Nagar in New Delhi) in which two IM terrorists had been gunned down. It also said that the attack was to “avenge” the killing of the operatives by Delhi police’s anti-terrorism squad.
The Batla encounter was mired in controversy as parents of the operatives claimed that it was a fake operation, which was disapproved later by a probe.

Even in the past, IM had used emails as the means of declaring their involvement in attacks. This time, it has been found that the email ID - al.arbi99913@gmail.com- from which the message was forwarded to various media organisations, was created at 11:30 am on Sunday, while the alleged shooting incident was taking place at 11.22 am.
The emails were sent at 1.30 pm. “The addresses given in the e-mail account could well be fake. The verification is being carried out”, police said.

The sole witness to the incident was a rickshaw puller, who challenged the terrorists by threatening to hurl a stone at them. The terrorists, who wanted to shoot him, panicked seeing the stone in his hand and escaped without hurting him.
 Police have questioned around two dozen people,  including the person whose car was stolen and used in the blast.

According to the police, the car was blown up using Ammonium nitrate. However, they ruled out use of RDX and detonator in the incident. A case under Explosive Act has been registered in connection with the blast, while  another case under IPC 307 and Arms Act, has been registered in the firing incident that injured two Taiwanese.
Police have sounded Red alert in the Capital city which would host the Commonwealth Games a fortnight from now. Intelligence agencies have warned of more terror attacks to disrupt the games.
DH News Service

‘No CWG pullout due to firing’
The firing incident near the Jama Masjid here “was not a Games-related matter” and no participating country has expressed security apprehensions over it, Commonwealth Games Organising Committee chief Suresh Kalmadi said Monday, agencies report from New Delhi.

“It is not a Games related matter...Not a single call (about it has been received) from any Commonwealth country,” Kalmadi said. 
“As of today, all 71 countries (and territories) are participating,” he said.
Asked about the travel advisories issued by Australia and Britain in the wake of the firing incident, Kalmadi said many countries issue travel advisories.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)