GPs, TPs yet to respond to PYKAA for 2011-12

The deadline to respond for the proposal was October 2010

Speaking to Deccan Herald, DK District Department of Youth Services and Sports Assistant Director Panduranga Gowda said that even though the deadline to respond for the proposal was in October 2010, no GP or TP has come forward.

Gowda further revealed that the project was started in 2007-2008 and implemented in DK District in the year 2008-2009. About 21 GPs were identified in 2008-09 and the PYKAA project was implemented. In 2009-2010, as many as 21 GPs and Sullia Taluk Panchayat was identified for the project. In 2010-2011, about 22 GPs were identified but in 2011-2012, the GPs and TPs have yet to be identified for the implementation of PYKAA project as they have not yet responded to the proposal, says Gowda.

“There is lack of land. Zilla Panchayat has to coordinate with the revenue department and find land for development. The department will look into the matter and the 2011 proposal will be implemented,” says ZP Chief Executive Officer P Shivshankar.

After a very long time, importance is given to the sports sector. PYKAA is a new project and it is in a campaign mode and it needs time to stabilize. The result can be seen after 10 years with quality sports stars, adds Shivshankar.

The main aim of the PYKAA project is to encourage sports and games in rural areas by identifying budding talents at the initial stage and hence training them to be good sportspersons, says Gowda and adds that the duration of the project is 10 years and the project intends to cover all the 203 GPs and five TPs in the district in the given time frame.

Some of the GPs where the project has been implemented have identified government school playgrounds, as it was difficult to identify a separate land for this purpose. Developing a school ground can ensure that the purpose of the ground is used to the maximum, says Gowda.

Project plan

The Union Government will be the major stakeholder as it provides 75 per cent of the grant and the remaining 25 per cent is provided by the State government. Each of the Gram Panchayat which has a population of over 4,600 people will receive 1 lakh to develop a playground of 2 to 3 acres. In case there is a population of less than 4,600 in a GP, then the GP has to form a cluster with its neighboring GP to receive the grant. Each of the Taluk Panchayats will receive Rs 5 lakhs to develop a land of 5 acres.

A physical education teacher called ‘Kreedashree’ will be appointed for coaching the budding sports stars. The Kreedashree will receive Rs 500 a month in Gram Panchayats and Rs 1,000 in Taluk Panchayats. The ZP President will be the chairman of the District level PYKAA implementation committee.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry